Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

What's on your floor?

Post by CaliTrav »

More specifically, what kind of paint or covering do you use on your garage floors?

Mine is currently bare concrete, and I'm using cardboard sheets - changed on occasion - to catch any drips of oil etc. That's been fine for a while but inevitably while doing odd jobs there are a few drips here and there... some bigger than others :o ... no I didn't spill any Mrs Calitrav, that's always been like it...

Anyway, to improve the appearance and hopefully the stain/mess resistant properties of the floor I thought I'd ask the forum. What do you guys use? Screwfix et al sell the standard "no nonsense" paint...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... _container

But also the resin style stuff like https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trad ... 5ltr/88106

My first thoughts are that the resin stuff must be the best, but is it worth it? Also 7 days to cure - could I put the car back on it after the 3 hour drying time?

Or is there another product that's tried and tested that you can recommend?
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: What's on your floor?

Post by Nickol »

It is not professional Workshop Quality but assuming that your garage floor is not smooth concrete, you may like to consider a self levelling screed ( if my Translation is correct "Ausgleichsestrich" ) which is probably available in sacks from builders merchants. When mixed , poured and lightly trowelled, it cures in about 4 to 5 hours and you can gently park your car over it after 24 hours, temperature permitting i.e the whole time over 5°.

Then after a further period of up to 7 days , it can be painted over. An epoxy paint is best but for home use on a Budget almost anything, preferably glossy can be used.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by parahandy 15 »

Old carpets, a friend has a flooring business and gives me carpets which he has lifted from customer's houses. they are cheap (free) warm and comfortable underfoot, absorb all stains beautifully and are chucked out when too mucky. Tip... wool is best as it does not melt with sparks etc. Most carpet fitters are only too glad to get rid of old carpets.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I wouldn't fit carpets, old or otherwise.
I had a discussion about floor coverings with a chap I bought one of my old 1275cc engines off a few years back and he told me how he used to cover his garage floor with carpets, which made it nice and snug and absorbed all spilt fluids...…
Until one day he had an accident and they very quickly spread the fire from one end of his garage to the other, completely engulfing his lovingly restored Triumph TR...…
From then on he kept his (rebuilt) garage floor clear...………….
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:27 am Hi,
I wouldn't fit carpets, old or otherwise.
I had a discussion about floor coverings with a chap I bought one of my old 1275cc engines off a few years back and he told me how he used to cover his garage floor with carpets, which made it nice and snug and absorbed all spilt fluids...…
Until one day he had an accident and they very quickly spread the fire from one end of his garage to the other, completely engulfing his lovingly restored Triumph TR...…
From then on he kept his (rebuilt) garage floor clear...………….
Best wishes,
Mike.
Excellent example of not thinking of the consequences of actions.
It's not something you see over here for some reason, but when I was renting a house in the USA, the garage floor was a good hard painted/enamelled surface with contrasting flecks applied to it. See this example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercoat-Liqu ... Cyw36aidqA

I wish such a finish was available over here. we only seem to have boring solid colour finishes. :cry:
Basil the 1955 series II

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

It's a smooth concrete floor covered with red floor paint. Before putting it down, I sealed the surface with a PVA and water mix. I can't recall whether I have had to re do any bits but the floor is 25 years old and still OK.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Re: What's on your floor

Post by GavinL »

My garage had plain concrete which dusted badly. I used Leyland floor paint from Screwfix which I applied with a roller after cleaning and hovering to remove any loose dust and has done the job - no more concrete dust, and easy to clear up the inevitable oil drips. I didn't seal the concrete first, with no adverse effects, paint still adhered fine.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I think it’s down to the concrete mix that was originally used. Our garage floors were laid with a strong mix of cement and sharp sand. You can’t get a spot of dust off them.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I have carpet tiles around the outside and cushion floor under the car , no more lying on a cold floor under the car , and any drips can be easily wiped away ( learned this with the Lotus )..

John