Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Bull Motif/ESM

Post by jagnut66 »

Where did you gather that info?
The MMC was fully independent until 2006, when, after supplying parts to them for many years , it formed a working partnership with East Sussex Minors.

The two companies were a natural fit as ESM was essentially workshop driven and had had little involvement in parts manufacture. The partnership further developed and after several years in partnership the two companies became fully integrated, as they are today, under the directorship of Graham Clayton.
I read it somewhere online, although when looking for the article I originally read for you I found this (link below and quoted from above):

https://www.mmcbath.co.uk/

Though the article I originally read implied ESM is the controlling or senior partner.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

"there is sometimes confusion regarding the identities of Morris Minor Centre (Bath) ltd and Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre. Since the founding of the Morris Minor Centre (Bath) ltd in 1979 they have been separate trading entities​,"

"The MMC was fully independent until 2006, when, after supplying parts to them for many years , it formed a working partnership with East Sussex Minors."

Your link suggests that ESM and MMC are partners, where does it say that Charles Ware is anything other than a separate entity?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Charles Ware https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/ is is a completely separate entity to the MMC/ESM partnership.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The age of the combustion engine may be passing but I wouldn’t be too pessimistic about the future.
Not immediately maybe, whilst petrol is still readily available. But as soon as it becomes hard to get hold of and prohibitively expensive. Remember coal for steam engines comes out of the ground and is supplied pretty much 'as is', petrol has to refined / manufactured and once the electric car takes over and petrol driven cars are only allowed limited access to the roads, the demand drops off, maybe the green brigade will even restrict supplies.........

Like I said, I give it 50 years, 60 max.............
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

there is sometimes confusion regarding the identities of Morris Minor Centre (Bath) ltd and Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre. Since the founding of the Morris Minor Centre (Bath) ltd in 1979 they have been separate trading entities
If this is true then I stand corrected on this occasion, I thought they were one in the same.
Best wishes,
Mike.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Going back in time CS Auto Classics just outside Wells in Somerset, Own Burton, Charles Ware and the MMC used to work closely together but retained their separate entities. My Minor incorporates many parts purchased parts from all four companies.

As regards Bull Motif - they were originally located in what could be called a miss mash of buildings situated in an orchard just outside North Littleton near Evesham Worcestershire and very local to me at the time. I used to pass the site every day on my way to work. They were always very helpful and back then had many NOS factory items available. Happy days. :D

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As regards Bull Motif - they were originally located in what could be called a miss mash of buildings situated in an orchard just outside North Littleton near Evesham Worcestershire
I visited that site a few times as well, when I was living in Milton Keynes, as you say there was a nice atmosphere to it whilst they were there.
I went to their new site once and found it very clinical and modern........ progress I suppose...............
Best wishes,
Mike.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

The MMC and Charles Ware thing is easy to confuse because of the links to Bath.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

jagnut66 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:44 pm
Sad news in terms of competition, I'm sure, but I have always been well served by ESM.
And ESM pretty much own Charles Ware as well from what I can gather.
So a lack of competition is the thing that concerns me.
If any one company can monopolise any given market, you can be sure that prices will only go one way.
We won't be so happy if we end up paying Jaguar XK money for Morris Minor parts..............
Best wishes,
Mike.
This sort of thing happened in the MG world. I'm not sure exactly what happened but there was a firm called the MG Sprite & Midget, B, C & V8 Centre, who traded from Manor Road in Richmond, Surrey (Once, when in the area, I called in but it was usually mail order). They were very good. I think they were the first acquisition of Moss and I didn't think the take over did anything for the service. There was another firm, from the Merseyside area, called M&G International and I bought most of my bits from there, when rebuilding my Midget in the late '80s (Especially after Moss took over what I always referred to as Sprite & Midget). Moss later took over M&G and closed it down. There was a firm called Spridegbits and after they closed, another firm, called PBW, started up from the same address, with an identical catalogue. My impression is that money was short and their website isn't e commerce. It is a pity, as Spridgebits were very good in the pre Internet days. Moss have a very good website and a comprehensive range.

My impression, when I came to Minors (2003), was that that Minor suppliers were generally smaller than MG suppliers (At least Moss) and I found them more helpful than MG suppliers had become. If ESM are acquiring other firms, if they keep as they have been, it will be OK. However, my impression is that we live in the age of the jobsworth, the flow chart and the risk assessment and that big places don't seem to know their corporate posteriors from their corporate elbows.

I didn't know that ESM had a large share of Wares (Since when and how; I know that Mr Ware Senior has died but I thought his son was in charge?). If so, that might be a good thing, as I was not impressed by Wares. Publicity did seem to be a forte. They made a bog hole of my five speed conversion, which owing to my limited use, didn't show up until it was outside the warranty period and Wares were unconcerned and even tried to blame me for the problem. I haven't been near there, on principal, for a long time but I would concede that they seemed to have some decent welders there, who were let down by some woeful fitters (This isn't uncommon).
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I don't know where the story has come from. Somebody is confused. Charles Ware and ESM are not connected in any way.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I think Wares and Morris Minor Centre Bath were often assumed to be one and the same.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Blaketon wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:33 pm
I didn't know that ESM had a large share of Wares (Since when and how; I know that Mr Ware Senior has died but I thought his son was in charge?).
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... nt-control

Big changes occurred at Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre Ltd in July 2019
Mr Zachary Tom Fabian Ware was previously significant person with between 50%-75% of shares
But on 3 July that changed to
Ecotec Partners Limited
Ownership of shares – 75% or more
Ownership of voting rights - 75% or more

The person who controls Ecotec Partners Limited, and CW, is a Mr Gareth Mark Hamer .

The significant person for ESM however is Mr Graham Peter Clayton.

I can see nothing registered with Companies House to support the allegations being made around here that there is any current connection between CW and ESM.

Though in my investigations, I did note that ESM have failed to check their legal details shown on their website. :roll: :roll:
They give their company registration as
ESM Morris Minors Registered office Old Factory Buildings, Battenhurst Road, Stonegate, East Sussex, TN5 7DU, England
Company Registration Number 4205228
VAT no. 510052416
Except that isn't their Company Registration number.... It belongs to YELL, the Directory company!!!

ESM are Company Reg No. 05128047
Basil the 1955 series II

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Monty-4 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:24 pm Well there is one perspective! As a young-ish (and vegetarian) Morris owner who has undertaken significant restoration work on my own car and helped friends with others, funneling hundreds of pounds to ESM and BullMotif, and driven my Minor for tens of thousands of miles, I'll try not to take offense. :D

The speed at which electric and driverless cars are being adopted is overstated. We have some time yet, and I look forward to converting a Minor to electric power in the future. Perhaps ESM will sell me the parts - we could certainly do with an off the shelf bellhousing to adapt electric motors to our gearboxes!
I can see why Jagnut is pessimistic about the future and as one a little older, I can say that I am glad I am not twenty years younger. I also take fully what he says about risk assessment culture, to which I would add flow charts and jobsworths. However, whilst I believe that a lot of youngsters are muppets, I believe the same of their parents and grandparents!! Classic car owners are a minority and this is what sets us apart and when I see a Minor owner, I think “There’s someone with something more than sawdust between their ears”. I can think of many, my age, who wouldn’t be seen dead in a Minor, which they would perceive as an old banger (Because when they had an old car, it was a banger…..just as many people, who don’t cycle, assume that bikes can only do 10mph because that’s all they can make on do), that would damage their street cred and make their tiresome friends assume them to have fallen on hard times. As a minority, we can make convenient scapegoats, for some politicians to blame for traffic pollution and in this, the late Charles Ware’s work on the durable car concept is useful ammunition, to fight unfounded assumptions with fact.

As a young driver, I wanted an MGB or Midget (Which I still have) and as a child, I loved to be taken to see Vintage Sports Car Club events (See attached photo taken at one). Ironically my Traveller is now as old as many of the VSCC cars were in those days. Amongst my peers, I was a misfit in that respect, most of them drooling over Ford Capris and the like. I can’t see modern cars ever being preserved as classics but even if any are, there won’t be many (A lower proportion than pre 1980s cars). Most Morris Minors have been scrapped too, so you don’t need that many people (Relatively speaking) to be interested to keep classic cars going. So long as we have the odd one or two, like Monty-4, that’s good. I see them as classic car enthusiasts, whatever their age.

As to electric cars, the assumption seems to be that if you remove the exhaust, there is no pollution. The problem is that too many people want to move too far, too often and I think electric cars are a kind of placebo, to make people feel that it’s OK to go on like this. Perhaps it’s putting off the evil day, when something (Perhaps personal carbon rations) will have to be brought in. I think fuel supply could one day be our Achilles Heel but whilst there are still piston engined aircraft, there will still be a demand for avgas (See my post in the petrol thread), which a sensible government could allow us to use legally.
Attachments
C Type Prescott VSCC 1974.jpg
C Type Prescott VSCC 1974.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I thought that rather than speculate and go off rumours, it would be better just to ask ESM about who owns who. This is the reply I got which should hopefully put this to bed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for your email. As you say, there is no big secret. As of November 1st 2019 we (ESM) purchased Bull Motif’s Morris Minor stock and tooling. Bull Motif continue to trade as a supplier of Mini and Austin parts in Winchcombe as they have always done. We have not bought out Bull Motif Ltd and we have no financial connection with their ongoing business. Bull Motif still operate as a totally separate entity, the only difference being that they no longer stock or sell parts for Minors other than those which may be interchangeable with the Mini.

I know there has been some confusion regarding ESM and Charles Ware, so I’d be happy to clear that up for you. ESM do not own Charles Ware’s Morris Minor Centre. We have had a long-standing working relationship with Nic Harding who founded the Morris Minor Centre Bath (a separate firm from Charles Ware) in 1979. Nic was originally a partner of Charles Ware and he was the man who compiled the Morris Minor parts catalogue. You can find out more about our history with MMC Bath here: https://www.mmcbath.co.uk/

Be sure to check out the Product Manufacturing page as that gives a good insight into the back story of MMC Bath!

I hope this information is of use to you. Please feel free to post this reply on the MMOC forum to clear up any confusion.

Best Regards,

Doug Newcomb

ESM Morris Minors

The Old Factory Buildings

Battenhurst Rd, Stonegate

East Sussex, TN5 7DU

Tel +44 (0)1580 200203
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Nice pleasant reply, and something of a relief, as monopolies are no good for prospective customers looking to pay a fair price for items.
However I think it is good that we are discussing the issue, as I believe it is something we should keep an eye on, for our own good.
The classic parts trade is very lucrative at the moment and there are plenty of greedy tycoons out there looking for ways to make more money.......
One of them's in charge of the USA at present I believe............. :wink: 8) :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I got a pleasant reply from ESM when I informed them that they were showing the wrong Company Number on all their webpages.... :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

Blaketon wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:33 pm
jagnut66 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:44 pm
Sad news in terms of competition, I'm sure, but I have always been well served by ESM.
And ESM pretty much own Charles Ware as well from what I can gather.
So a lack of competition is the thing that concerns me.
If any one company can monopolise any given market, you can be sure that prices will only go one way.
We won't be so happy if we end up paying Jaguar XK money for Morris Minor parts..............
Best wishes,
Mike.
This sort of thing happened in the MG world. I'm not sure exactly what happened but there was a firm called the MG Sprite & Midget, B, C & V8 Centre, who traded from Manor Road in Richmond, Surrey (Once, when in the area, I called in but it was usually mail order). They were very good. I think they were the first acquisition of Moss and I didn't think the take over did anything for the service. There was another firm, from the Merseyside area, called M&G International and I bought most of my bits from there, when rebuilding my Midget in the late '80s (Especially after Moss took over what I always referred to as Sprite & Midget). Moss later took over M&G and closed it down. There was a firm called Spridegbits and after they closed, another firm, called PBW, started up from the same address, with an identical catalogue. My impression is that money was short and their website isn't e commerce. It is a pity, as Spridgebits were very good in the pre Internet days. Moss have a very good website and a comprehensive range.

My impression, when I came to Minors (2003), was that that Minor suppliers were generally smaller than MG suppliers (At least Moss) and I found them more helpful than MG suppliers had become. If ESM are acquiring other firms, if they keep as they have been, it will be OK. However, my impression is that we live in the age of the jobsworth, the flow chart and the risk assessment and that big places don't seem to know their corporate posteriors from their corporate elbows.

I didn't know that ESM had a large share of Wares (Since when and how; I know that Mr Ware Senior has died but I thought his son was in charge?). If so, that might be a good thing, as I was not impressed by Wares. Publicity did seem to be a forte. They made a bog hole of my five speed conversion, which owing to my limited use, didn't show up until it was outside the warranty period and Wares were unconcerned and even tried to blame me for the problem. I haven't been near there, on principal, for a long time but I would concede that they seemed to have some decent welders there, who were let down by some woeful fitters (This isn't uncommon).
I remember this shop in Richmond (it was 100 yards from East Sheen Railway station) and as far as I can remember iot was always know as Moss. I first went there in around 1989 when I first had interest in MM and Austin. I purchased a duplex chain kit, fitted it wrong and knackered my engine!

Moss now are located just off the A316 in Feltham (close to Heathrow Airport). I was in there the other day buying some stuff.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

MG International was located at Unit 11, Sedgley Park Trading Estate, Prestwich Manchester M25 8WD. They also had a place in Birkenhead.

I have one of their Sprite, Midget Parts Catalogue Pt No AKS 0036 2nd edition.

MOSS did indeed take over MG Sprite Midget, B, C & V8 Centre in Manor Road, Richmond which was founded by Graham Paddy.

They also had a MOSS Special Tuning place in Cheadle Heath, Stockport from which I purchased several parts. Was originally Barry Stafford MG Parts.

MOSS also list in their 1992 Performance Manual:-

Naylor Brothers (originally Shipley), Bradford.

Sprite and Midget, B, C, V8 Centre, West Midlands, 991 Wolverhampton Rd, Oldbury. Now David Manners Ltd.

Sprite and Midget, B, C, V8 Centre, Bristol.

Moss Darlington. Yarm, Darlington.

Looking back through early Minor Matters and other publications it is apparent how few Morris Minor parts traders there are now.

Saying that 'e' bay traders seem to have supplemented many of the main traders who had their extensive catalogues and their mail order businesses.