Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Minor saves the day

Post by liammonty »

My Minor has, for the second time in two months, saved the day. I had to get to a meeting in Oxfordshire from home in Dartmoor, and jumped in the modern to find the starter motor had died. After a bit of swearing, I transferred all my things into the Minor which had been sitting idle outside for six weeks and completed the 170 miles to the office in a whisker over 3 hours. And I didn’t even carry any spares or perform a precautionary rebuild of the car prior to departure :wink:. My only complaint is that my ears were ringing a little upon arrival!!! Standard ignition system, 4 speed gearbox etc... I must be mad!!! The modern car should be ashamed of itself. If the starter packs up on the Minor, at least I’ve got a starting handle!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Minor saves the day

Post by ManyMinors »

Good old Morris! We have had similar experiences! I suppose their reliability is largely due to their simplicity of design and use of well tried and tested components. I have never owned an unreliable Minor and we still use ours for foreign holidays in favour of our modern car. Largely this is because I feel I could probably fix the Morris at the roadside but would have very little chance with my modern car.
Happy motoring :)
liammonty
Minor Legend

Re: Minor saves the day

Post by liammonty »

I totally agree - pretty much the only parts that have ever caused me trouble have been modern replacements. I’ve been successfully ‘fording’ some deepish water today after the heavy rain last night and have been grateful for the greater ground clearance than on most modern cars!