Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Trolley jack overhaul

Post by ndevans »

My trolley jack is no longer working properly. I've topped up the oil, but it's no better. There's no sign of leaks, so I guess a seal has gone somewhere. Has anyone tried overhauling a trolley jack? Any tips would be appreciated!
Cheers N
Last edited by Admin on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (spelling error)
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: Tory jack overhaul

Post by Sleeper »

I just love that predictive texting....

John :wink:
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

If topping up doesn’t help have you tried pumping it repeatedly to remove any air bubbles from the system?
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

There are zillions of step-by-step restorations on youtube.

Like the brakes on your Minor, bleeding is very important and can be tricky.

I was surprised to have some success with this product without disassembling anything: Rislone Jack Oil with Stop Leak.

It is sold on some markets as Bars Leaks Jack Oil with Stop Leak.

It won't make Tory politicians work any better, but it might work with your trolley jack.

Don
(in Australia).
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Sleeper wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:54 am I just love that predictive texting....

John :wink:
Damn you, predicate tart!
cheers N

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Re: Trolley jack overhaul

Post by Mark Wilson »

Does a Tory jack reduce the labour?
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Mark Wilson wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 am Does a Tory jack reduce the labour?
No, it just lifts you to unsustainable heights, but can't be trusted to keep you there.....
cheers N

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

I have been having problems with my 35 year old trolley jack and air in the pumping circuit. Didn't want a new one as I had made smaller diameter wheels for it to go under wife's Mini and it doesn't creep down!
I have bled it by pumping and the release valve open and it is fine - for a while and the air returns, which makes it unusable. Don't know how the air gets in although I have topped up with a jack oil that was my Dad's and 140 grade so wondered if the oil was too thick to be pulled into the pumping circuit?
Just drained it out over 24 hours (came out clean) and refilled with new trolley jack oil, much thinner, bought locally and bled it with release screw undone and ram at bottom and top of it's stroke.
'Seems' ok! Time will tell.

Alan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would suggest that grade 140 oil is too thick for a hydraulic jack.

Hydraulic jack oil should meet ISO VG32 requirements and is similar to damper oil in that it is very thin and resists aeration.

https://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.u ... c-oil.html

Available from Halfords in 500ml bottles and may be also available from other suppliers.

I use Halfords hydraulic jack oil in my hydraulic jacks and hydraulic press and other hydraulic items without any problems.

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

i used my old trolley jack to lift my car a couple of years ago. whilst it lifted the car, I went about 10 feet to get an axle stand and the jack gave way. i'm not stupid enough to do anything whilst it isn't correctly supported.

with a jack, if it doesn't work correctly, buy another. they aren't expensive and its a safety critical workshop tool.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

ampwhu

I totally agree with you on all counts.

Phil

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I had a very good long reach trolley jack for twenty odds years, over the last couple of years it struggled to lift the Minor, I tried fettling it but to no avail, in the end I took the attitude mentioned above and bought a new one, link below, not the cheapest but if it lasts twenty odd years.........(I hope it does anyway at that price :wink: )............
I'd rather spend time working on the car than the trolley jack, plus after twenty odd years service I think I've had my moneys worth out of the old one..........
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SGS-1-5-Ton- ... 2749.l2649
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

the new one I bought was an all alloy 'racing' jack that had a 2 tonne capacity. i'll never need that much, but at £120 delivered, it's great!
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Just to let all the doom and gloom merchants know that my 35 year old jack is now working a treat!
I think the main culprit of my air problem was the old oil, came out clean but the new jack oil that I bought is a lot thinner and I believe flows into the pump cylinder without causing an air (vacuum) cavity in the chamber.
I know jack's are cheap but this old workhorse has extra wide wheels I made fore it to spread the load on our tarmac drive, they are also of smaller diameter to enable it to get under our lowest car.
It's had some good use this morning and it's back to normal self, I purposely left the car (Astra front) jacked up and it stayed exactly where it was left with no creeping down or leaks.
Result!

Alan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It certainly would be doom and gloom if the jack came down on you.

As someone who used to overhaul hydraulic jacks of all types/capacities and issue certification for them post load and operation testing it cannot be overemphasised that hydraulic jacks need to be completely safe before use and preferably load tested and certification issued by a competent person after overhaul.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

philthehill wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:10 pm It certainly would be doom and gloom if the jack came down on you.

As someone who used to overhaul hydraulic jacks of all types/capacities and issue certification for them post load and operation testing it cannot be overemphasised that hydraulic jacks need to be completely safe before use and preferably load tested and certification issued by a competent person after overhaul.
Totally agree. NEVER put any body part under a vehicle that is only up on a jack. Always fit axle stands or other fixed locking device to stop it suddenly dropping.
Aircraft jacks for example usually have a locking collar on the extending ram; if it's a multi ram jack, a locking collar on each section..
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eucAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
Basil the 1955 series II

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Who gets under a vehicle supported just by a jack?

Alan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Some do unfortunately.

Even axle stands can collapse allowing the car to fall on the person underneath.

Anything that carries a load should be regularly inspected and where necessary a certificate of conformity, load bearing capacity and safety issued.

It is no good just putting an axle stand under the car - it must be placed in a position under the car that is able to carry the point loading and in a position that will not allow the axle stand to slip or become unsafe.

Some years ago a then local car club member had a car fall on him. He was trapped and he was found dead the next morning - so safety cannot be sidestepped or underestimated. Better to drum home the risks and have no accidents than treat the possibility of an accident as a non happening.

Safe motoring and the safe undertaking of repairs is what we should all aim for.

Phil

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

alanworland wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:59 pm Who gets under a vehicle supported just by a jack?

Alan
You'd be surprised what some people consider safe.
man-unsafe-under-car.jpg
man-unsafe-under-car.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
I've seen people with legs under a car while changing brakes and it's only up on a jack, sometimes a flimsy screw jack that came with the car.....
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

What about this guy then? Perfectly safe! :o
truck-lift.jpg
truck-lift.jpg (40.46 KiB) Viewed 2132 times