By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
darrenj
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

heater dial

Post by darrenj »

WP_20190628_19_06_06_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20190628_19_06_06_Pro (2).jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 1924 times
Hi everyone, would someone be able to let me know what type of heater dial I need for my 1959 4 door 1000, the one's I've found are fast speed turn to left and slow to the right, however Mr cars heater is slow to the left and fast to the right, wouldn't bother but its irritating trying to turn the bit that's there with cold hands, thanks in advance,Darren.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: heater dial

Post by simmitc »

By "dial", do you mean the switch on the heater? Perhaps a photo of what you've got at the moment would help...
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I think we're talking about the rheostat controlling the fan speed...and yes, on my'58 4 door ( round heater ) from OFF , rotating clockwise is FAST progressing to SLOW..

" the one's I've found are " ... from where ?

John ;-)
Castanley
Minor Friendly

Post by Castanley »

It's exactly the same on my 1954 saloon. From off, it's a small click to the right to switch on and then continue rotating clockwise to slow the fan down. I assumed they were all like that. 🤔

Chris
"Gussie", the 1954 Series 2.
My blog: https://castanley.wixsite.com/mysite

MMOC member
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

I've looked at fleabay and Charles ware but they all have the fast on the left, the dial im looking for sits on the front of the heater in the middle will get a pic tomorrow but all I have is a small rod with a split in the middle which turns but no dial / nob / round switch thingy, on the search I put 1959 Morris minor heater dial, if this helps.
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Ok, im having a moment, I've just realised I made a big mistake with the direction of the dials so I can get off Charles ware if it is supposed to be brown and round, I wasn't sure of colour or style and wasn't thinking of the direction the dials are set was right,
So basically are 1959 4 door minors heating dials brown and round or are they different, sorry for confusion🙃
Castanley
Minor Friendly

Post by Castanley »

Haha, it's easily done!
It should be anti-clockwise for fast and clockwise for slow.
Here's a photo from my blog which shows the heater knob on my car. Hope it helps...

Chris

MMOC member
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Cheers Chris, feel like a bit of a dumbo, guess we all have moments, unfortunately the photo hasn't come up, is your dial brown and round or white and straight, cheers for your help, Darren.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Darren - assuming your 1959 car has the original heater then it will require the brown, round knob (are some black?), which is typical for these round heaters. However, I would ring ESM for advice, as they list a 'long' and a 'short' type........not sure why there is a difference - possibly different between the SII heaters (like in the 'castanley' pic), or maybe the 'long' ones are for the later round heaters enclosed in a casing to enable fresh air to be drawn from beneath?? Is yours like that, or the simple 'fug-stirrer'?
If you scroll down here, you will see the two types: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/cooli ... heater-c52
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Looking at the length of the rehostat looks like I need the short one, when you say "fug sturrer" is that the right name or just a ref, will be ordering after this, no more cold pained fingers trying to turn it, still got lots of little bits to do, also need to find a cheap rear damper as car sits an inch lower on the rear right, thanks again for help,darren
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ha ha, 'fug-stirrer' is a colloquial expression used for many years now to describe the old heaters that had no fresh air intake! I don't think BMC ever used it in their advertising blurb! :wink: :lol:
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

" also need to find a cheap rear damper as car sits an inch lower on the rear right, thanks again for help,darren "

I think you'll find it is the spring or fixing...the damper is not involved in the height...unless it is seized.

John ;-)
Castanley
Minor Friendly

Post by Castanley »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:32 pm Ha ha, 'fug-stirrer' is a colloquial expression used for many years now to describe the old heaters that had no fresh air intake! I don't think BMC ever used it in their advertising blurb! :wink: :lol:
Yep on cold days you have to turn on the heater but also open the window a crack to keep a flow of fresh air. Otherwise the windows mist up!

Chris

MMOC member
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Yep, I got ' fug stirrer' , learn something new every day, as for damper thanks everyone, as its more likely the spring does this mean remove and refit of bushes etc, if so is it a easy enough job for a novice like myself to do alone, thanks again
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

You need to check if that cyclists ok at the rear of the car :D
Where angels fear to tread
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »