Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Amber warning beacon

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Whilst we were voting on so called 'smart motorways' ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71376 ) another member posted up a link to this roof mounted amber warning beacon.
It caught my attention as a convenient way of having a hazard light without having to go to the trouble of wiring in a kit, as it simply requires a 12 volt outlet (or Cigar lighter socket) to plug it into.
The beacon itself has two rubber insulated magnetic mounts, which are 'soft' enough to not damage paintwork but which grip securely.
So I thought this also might appeal to others who either don't want to or don't feel confident about fitting one of the kits available.
Also perhaps to the concourse / totally original brigade who don't want to fit a kit, because they feel it would detract from the car in some way. A 12 volt outlet neatly tucked away out of sight somewhere, in exchange for your cars safety in the event of an inconveniently placed breakdown is a small sacrifice surely??
Magnetic roof warning beacon 1.jpg
Magnetic roof warning beacon 1.jpg (800.77 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
Magnetic roof warning beacon 2.jpg
Magnetic roof warning beacon 2.jpg (813.23 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
As you can see the beacon circles round the light unit and really stands out. The lead can be fed out through a semi-closed window or quarterlight if it's raining (the lead having plenty of length to it).
I have mounted it on my Minors roof and it sits comfortably, plus, as I said, it doesn't damage the paintwork. When not in use it packs up neatly, so takes up hardly any room and can be stowed out of the way under your seat (or elsewhere).
I think it's a really effective way of having a warning light for your car should it breakdown, especially on motorways................
Unless of course there's no safety lane.........

I have reattached the link for it below.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24LED-Amber- ... 2749.l2649
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
smithskids
Minor Addict

Re: Amber warning beacon

Post by smithskids »

I have one in my pickup for when I attend steam rallies as coal and water carrier.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I have one in my pickup for when I attend steam rallies as coal and water carrier.
Another good use for it, plus a steam rally as well! :D :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Mine arrived yesterday and I can confirm it 'clamps' very securely onto the metalwork without any risk of damage to the paintwork because of the powerful and rubber-covered magnets.

I haven't fitted it to my Moggy yet as I'm still waiting for the power socket/wiring/in-line fuse to arrive...….hopefully tomorrow!

As Mike (jagnut66) says, this seems a cheap and easy solution to have some form of hazard warning system and apart from having to discretely fit a power socket would be ideal for the concours enthusiasts amongst us. I should say that I know absolutely nothing about concours 'marking' or scoring but it must surely be worth sacrificing a few points to be able to plonk an amber flashing light on the roof in the event of breakdown. Better that than being rear-ended by a 38-tonner who had no idea you were stationary :( :(

If only Carlsberg did flashing warning lights, you could probably get them in blue...…...and cut through all the traffic with no problem :D.

I'm so glad I read the thread about these lights, because I had no idea they even existed.

Alan
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

If only Carlsberg did flashing warning lights, you could probably get them in blue...…...and cut through all the traffic with no problem
And then get nicked for impersonating a policeman!.............. :lol: :lol:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If it was blue, you could be sure of the prompt arrival of help !…………and then get nicked.
Seriously though sounds like a good investment.

MorrisMinion
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisMinion »

Thanks to the originator of this thread as it made me realise that I'd be a bit vulnerable if the Minor broke down in the dark. I don't have a 12v power outlet so I purchased this for £13:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bawoo-Emergenc ... 69ab0086b2

It fits easily in the glove box and takes 3 AA batteries and presumably this would be a good option for those who want to preserve concours levels of originality. It also has an optional white light on the top so if there was a problem under the bonnet late at night then this unit could be stuck on the underside of the bonnet to provide both an amber flashing warning and constant light over the engine. My beacon is in the glove compartment and I live in hope that I never have to use it.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MorrisMinion wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:26 pm Thanks to the originator of this thread as it made me realise that I'd be a bit vulnerable if the Minor broke down in the dark. I don't have a 12v power outlet so I purchased this for £13:
Interesting. How good is it in daylight? Looks a bit small for daytime use :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

A few years ago I was in my Traveller on the hard shoulder coming out of a motorway tunnel in the Italian Alps, pulled up behind another Minor because they didn't have hazard lights and I did. Hard shoulder not even as wide as a Minor, cars coming out of the long dark tunnel into harsh sunlight at 130kph and more, we were almost killed a dozen times in as many minutes. When I got home I bought some of these
hazard.jpg
hazard.jpg (19.4 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
which I now keep always under my boot floor, although I always have a niggling fear the batteries will be dead at the time I need them. Belt and braces approach, so I've just bought one of the roof beacons from your link too, thanks for the tip.
Just one caveat, mind. These will only stick to the front part of the roof of a Traveller, of course :roll:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

My power socket arrived this morning - with an apology, by the way, for the delay but I only ordered it on Sunday night!

Anyway, I fitted it this afternoon (sited it on the off-side, under the parcel shelf a couple of inches back from the front edge and earthed it to the p/s securing bolt), plugged in my flasher unit and nearly blinded myself with the 24 orange flashing LEDs :D.

Needless to say, I am well pleased with it.....and all its 7 flashing functions but as has been said, it's one of those things you hope you will never need.

To allay the fears of Mrs Owlsman - and me a bit, to be honest - if/when possibly travelling on 'smart' motorways, I have fabricated a prototype cardboard box to locate the flasher inside the car on the rear parcel shelf. There is plenty of cable to go from the rear window, along the transmission tunnel, across the front seat and up to the back of the parcel shelf to plug the flasher into the power socket. The flasher unit itself has a separate on/off switch so it can be plugged in and just ready to be switched on.

I'm not planning on driving around with this set-up on an everyday basis but the most crucial time after coasting to a halt on a smart motorway (which is where all this started in the first place) is the first few seconds! So, to be able just to reach down and effectively switch on the 'hazards', could be vital - even life-saving!

The attached photo shows what I've come up with for my very occasional forays on to motorways.
Attachments
'Hazard' flashers.jpg
'Hazard' flashers.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 1913 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I don't have a 12v power outlet so I purchased this for £13:
Hi,
For anyone interested:
12 Volt power outlet:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-Boat ... 3fdab8ec91

Or for a more original look:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/7208898 ... -1-2&cns=1
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAD
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAY
Best wishes,
Mike.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

@Owlsman - is it the picture, or does your car have a canvas/rubber sunroof? Also out of interest, are those big pieces of foam against your garage wall? (to protect the car from being scratched?).
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Well spotted Chief! Correct on both counts - the roof is indeed a 'Webasto-style' fold back roof. I say that because I don't think it's an actual Webasto. It does not show the name anywhere and does not appear to be quite of the same quality. I had a Webasto fitted to an MGBGT and it was just a bit better (I think) than this one. Furthermore, the real thing had a 'flip-up' wind deflector whereas the Moggy one has a fixed deflector.

Having said all that, when pulled fully back it works very well, although I do have to wind the rear windows down a tad, to allow the air to flow through - otherwise at anything above 25mph, there is a certain amount of 'booming'. It is completely watertight. I think it was fitted in Portugal, where the previous owner lived for a short time but returned to the UK because of the heat. The fact that it had a 'proper' sunroof (as opposed to a Perspex hatch) was the clincher for me, although the whole thing was a total impulse purchase - genuinely!

I love proper soft-tops/convertibles (I've had 2 MGB roadsters) but my wife has long got past the point of wanting to go out topless.....if you know what I mean? :oops: :D To be honest, I'm not sure she ever reached that point at all. :D Mrs. Owlsman is Ok with the roof fully open....as long as the heater is on! I knew this was the nearest I was going to get to a full convertible.

The first picture is a 'replica' I made from a Spot-on model and the second is the 'real thing'.

My single garage isn't the largest on the planet and also has to be potting shed, garden/tool store, workshop, store for 2 bikes and utility area for a freezer, fridge and a spin-dryer so space is at a bit of a premium!! I screwed a piece of plywood to the garage wall and stuck on the piece of foam and finally a piece of carpet. Funnily enough, I never have to polish the lower rear nearside wing :D . No seriously, I've got reversing into the garage down to a fine art now so the foam etc is only needed as a bit of 'insurance'. I think one of those old 'flock' mattresses would have been ideal...….but I was beginning to get a bit of a reputation for diving into people's skips looking for one, that I had to abandon that idea! ONLY JOKING! :D
Attachments
IMG_20191009_183142193.jpg
IMG_20191009_183142193.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1843 times
Offside.jpg
Offside.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 1843 times
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Interesting, I'd actually once met someone who said they used to own a Morris with a roof like that, but they'd sold it years ago I seem to recall.

I actually wondered if you ever polished that side of the car if it was foam etc. :wink: as someone who dislikes backing down the drive and into the garage (I have no depth perception so I always feel a lot closer to things than I usually am/people seem to tail gate me even when they're not) I like the idea of the added side protection.

The downside of your last photo is it's showing just how in need of a clean and polish my own car is :D
.but I was beginning to get a bit of a reputation for diving into people's skips looking for one, that I had to abandon that idea! ONLY JOKING!
Why do I find it difficult to belive you're joking :lol:
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Why do I find it difficult to belive you're joking :lol:
I know what you mean but you never know these days who is going to misconstrue or be upset by (particularly) the written word. To be fair, I don't see it much on this forum so I was probably thinking of another completely different, football related, forum (see my username for a clue!) where so much is taken quite literally and all manor of mayhem kicks off. No pun intended....oh, go on then, perhaps it was. :D I don't subscribe to said forum, by the way - I just view it - as the language and vitriol between members, from what I believe to be often quite innocent and humorous comments, is quite ridiculous.

For a few years now, I have been convinced that there must be an increasing number of people who wake up in the morning and think to themselves ''now what can I be offended or upset about today?.....Mmmm? I don't know yet, but I'll think of something''. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

For a few years now, I have been convinced that there must be an increasing number of people who wake up in the morning and think to themselves ''now what can I be offended or upset about today?.....Mmmm? I don't know yet, but I'll think of something''. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
They are generally referred to as 'Snowflakes', they seem to all have a certain political leaning (left), also to mainly consist of the younger 'millennial' generation (though not necessarily exclusively) and have been covered on this forum before (as well as many others and notably the mainstream media).
They are probably penning their usual OTT protests, indignation and offence, even before I click submit and post this........ 8) :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Owlsman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:23 pm
Oh no by no means are you the only one believing that :lol:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

If you want to join the club...
snowflake.jpg
snowflake.jpg (95.62 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
John ;-)
Chappers
Minor Friendly

Post by Chappers »

Owlsman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:21 pm Well spotted Chief! Correct on both counts - the roof is indeed a 'Webasto-style' fold back roof. I say that because I don't think it's an actual Webasto. It does not show the name anywhere and does not appear to be quite of the same quality. I had a Webasto fitted to an MGBGT and it was just a bit better (I think) than this one. Furthermore, the real thing had a 'flip-up' wind deflector whereas the Moggy one has a fixed deflector.
Owlsman, interesting sun roof on your car.
Always nice to see that some people like them.
To be honest when I saw my car Maisie advertised, the sunroof put me off a bit.
But when I went to view her my wife fell in love with the car, and so actually have I.
Mines a proper Webasto. Car first registered in Tonbridge Kent and sold by Caffyns and sunroof fitted in Folkestone, so we think it’s a customer specification from new.
BBB28DF5-E869-4356-AA7B-2CFFC936E355.jpeg
BBB28DF5-E869-4356-AA7B-2CFFC936E355.jpeg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 1800 times
1BA6E708-5F98-434B-8A44-9264F539F066.jpeg
1BA6E708-5F98-434B-8A44-9264F539F066.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 1800 times
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

consist of the younger 'millennial' generation (though not necessarily exclusively)
It's funny, but I always thought of "millennials" as people born from 2000 onwards, turns out the official definition is those who were born and/or became adults after 2000 - so I count as a millennial. :o

It also shows how old I'm getting though, all the online slang must have changed - never heard of snowflakes but I expect we'll get some sometime this month, usually do round this time of year :D

I suppose it's easier to convert back/forth between a sunroof saloon and metal roofed saloon than the whole convertible conversion and presumably you just need to strengthen the roof round the hole as you would if fitting a normal glass sunroof to a car (not that I'm an engineer).

So most of the benefits of a convertible, and most of those of a metal roof - it's win-win! (though I'll stick to my mx-5 and not chop my Minors' roof :wink: ).