Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Original MOWOG bushes??

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have been spending the last few days pulling my front suspension apart and replacing the bushes for the green poly ones I favour and I found these in the top trunnion on the passenger side.......
DSCF3509(1).JPG
DSCF3509(1).JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 473 times
They look a bit 'nibbled' around the edges in this photo but this is doing them an injustice, as they are in fact in very good condition overall, not at all crushed.....
DSCF3510(1).JPG
DSCF3510(1).JPG (872.22 KiB) Viewed 473 times
Which leads me to wonder if they could be new old stock, as someone has been working in this area before me, possibly to get it through an MOT(?).
I say this as the eyebolt bushes have been replaced as well, though not with black rubber, the drivers side is yellow poly and the passenger side is red poly.......
What ever was to hand I guess.....
However, apart from being slightly crushed through use these seem to be okay and having driven it back from East Croydon with these in place, with no 'knocks' or 'thumps' and it not feeling unduly 'harsh' I am minded to count it as one job less to do (I have plenty of others to get on with) and leave them in place. Saves me having to knock the back half of the bottom arm off the torsion bar splines, extract it from the eyebolt to replace them, then put it all back together again.....
And then hope they are both then set level and I don't have faff around resetting them, once the car is back on the ground.....
The yellow and red poly bushes should last for some time I hope.
The other job I'm doing whilst it is all apart is replacing the front drums with discs, which means I have a couple more spare drums for the back of the car when they are needed and I will put the front backing plates and cylinders on my free spares pile by my car at our next national (for whoever needs them), though that looks like being next year now.
In the meanwhile if anyone would like the MOWOG embossed bushes (free of course) I will happily put them in the post to you.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Original MOWOG bushes??

Post by philthehill »

You do not have to knock the thick arm off the torsion bar to extract the eyebolt bushes.
Just knock the thick arm rearwards just enough to clear the cup washer on the rear of the eyebolt pin. Slacken the eye bolt nut and then twist the eyebolt to clear the thick arm and then extract the pin and bushes.

As regards the different colour poly bushes - most of the bushes (no matter what colour) on general offer are roughly in the same area of shore hardness.

In most cases only the most expensive poly bushes will state the shore hardness of the bush so enabling you to make a choice of bush/hardness.

MOWOG rubber bushes should be dispatched to the bin or placed in a museum. :wink: :wink:

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

MOWOG rubber bushes should be dispatched to the bin or placed in a museum.
:lol: Mine are now green poly (except for those yellow and red ones, which you can't see down there anyway).......

However, as they are in such good nick I can't bring myself to bin them. So if anybody has old genuine MOWOG spares and wants to add them to their collection, I will happily post.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I suspect that the Shore hardness of the red and yellow bushes are similar.
I have various coloured eye bolt and suspension poly bushes and they all appear to be similar hardness.
I have recently acquired a genuine Shore Hardness/Durometer Type A meter (with test piece) manufactured by the Shore Instrument & MFG. Co, Freeport New York and it is my intention to check the Shore hardness of the various suspension bushes I have when I get back to something like normal.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

They felt fine on the drive home from collecting her and, apart from some crushing where the nuts / washers have been tightened down onto them, they look okay, so they can stay for now. Like I said, there is plenty to keep me occupied, as I work towards getting her back on the road, so no need to add to the list.
Best wishes,
Mike.