Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

What we did in the lockdown

Post by ianmack »

Given that quite a few of us currently have time on our hands I thought we might have a thread on projects. For a long time I’ve been thinking of fitting a lowlight front on my early 1954 saloon and I’ve finally done it. The fibreglass wings take a bit of fitting and my steel grille was bent and rusty but we got there in the end.
Attachments
518A2A96-B2F0-4A93-96F1-77260C12FE21.jpeg
518A2A96-B2F0-4A93-96F1-77260C12FE21.jpeg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 2271 times
sid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: What we did in the lockdown

Post by sid »

as i've been furloughed.i'm doing a few jobs i'd begrudge doing in my own time :lol: such as creosoting my shed and new car port,and planting a few seeds in pots. more interestingly,i've been working on my 1957 AJS combo,which should be ready for shopping trip's in a few weeks :)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

No more responses? I hope this doesn’t mean you’re all watching daytime television :o
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I'm finishing off my father's 1275 MG Midget, which I'd be doing anyway. It's the front brake pipes to do and then the door drop glasses (At times like this I sometimes wish he had a Mk 1 Midget or a Frogeye, with sidescreens :lol: ) and then I think that's it. I have taken over the project, so it's been a case of seeing what needed doing. First thing was get the cylinder head on and all that goes with it, check the wiring out and get it running. That's all done. Once it's on the road and OK, the final thing will be to put it on a rolling road, to ensure the jetting etc is right (It's very mildly modified).
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well I'm about to start laying a new Sandstone patio.
I ordered the slabs (3 x 1 ton pallets - about 60 sq mtrs) and the bulk sand just before lock-down. The slabs arrived but the sand didn't as their drivers were all off.
Sand finally arrived a few days ago...
So prep work just about finished, start laying this week. :)

I perhaps should add that it's taken me 2+ years to get to this point so the Other 'arf is getting a bit cheesed off... :(
Basil the 1955 series II

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I laid 50m of Indian Sandstone a few years ago, concrete base then set it all on sand/cement, what a job, but it's great to enjoy now!
Worst mistake of the job was using a 'sweep in' pointing material (evostick I think) useless had to cut it all out a couple of years later and redo with sand and cement which is lasting well.
Good luck!

Alan
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I've fit radius arms and Wolseley rear brakes to my Morris. I also managed to drop it off the jack too fast and the rear bumper went down on my kneecap. OUCH ouch ouch! The only other hitch was the holes in the Wolseley backplates had the assembly at a 45 degree angle compared to standard so the handbrake cable didn't reach - a little drilling later and they were on. This has balanced the brakes up again beautifully (have had Wolseleys on the front for some time).

We're doing our shopping trips in the Morris so it gets a bit of a run every now and then.
20200330_173515_HDR.jpg
20200330_173515_HDR.jpg (295.65 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Don't ask my why I always paint drums yellow, the paint doesn't stay on long anyway.
20200404_154411_HDR(1).jpg
20200404_154411_HDR(1).jpg (258.12 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

To get the Wolseley 1500 brakes to fit the Minor rear axle without drilling you have to swap the back plates from side to side.
Wolseley 1500 brakes.JPG
Wolseley 1500 brakes.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2021 times
The orientation of the wheel cylinder may not be the same as the Minor but it works perfectly well.

My drums are blue and the paint seems to stay on no problem.
Last edited by philthehill on Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Too late now with the drilling! Let's call the extra holes ventilation to help cool the brakes?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It appears that I have been having a good old fossicking around in the workshop. :D

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Back to welding Ted the traveller. Rear wheel arch repair today.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Finally started putting my spare engine back together this weekend.
The reground crank and bearings are all fitted and end float checked etc, the new duplex timing sprocket needed 3 thou machining off the back face to give the correct camshaft end float though.
Its always puzzled me how people manage to get through life without a lathe or two. :D

I am now making some headway with making sure all the con-rods are weight matched both overall and at each end, it's probably a bit OTT on a standard 1098 but it makes me feel better knowing its as good as I can get it. The flywheel/clutch assembly are already balanced and ready to bolt on.

I did the same exercise when I built my Austin 7 Special engine years ago, it just kept on running sweet as a nut, and other than routine maintenance never had a spanner on it for at least 18 years. So I reckon taking a bit of care with the rebuild pays dividends in the long run.

Phil
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Decorating....... :cry:
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I changed the coolant and was amazed at how clean it came out, it always used to be quite discoloured?
Gave it all a good purge with the hose and filled up with fresh. I also decided to do something about the kenlowe sensor I have installed in the top hose as the silicone bridge piece is forever trying to escape, doesn't leak but it can't be that far away!
So I have a (I hope) nice piece of black silicone hose on the way with a revotec sensor to fit in it to control my existing kenlowe fan.

Alan
Chappers
Minor Friendly

Post by Chappers »

Monty-4 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:51 pm I've fit radius arms and Wolseley rear brakes to my Morris. I also managed to drop it off the jack too fast and the rear bumper went down on my kneecap. OUCH ouch ouch! The only other hitch was the holes in the Wolseley backplates had the assembly at a 45 degree angle compared to standard so the handbrake cable didn't reach - a little drilling later and they were on. This has balanced the brakes up again beautifully (have had Wolseleys on the front for some time).

We're doing our shopping trips in the Morris so it gets a bit of a run every now and then.
20200330_173515_HDR.jpg

Don't ask my why I always paint drums yellow, the paint doesn't stay on long anyway.
20200404_154411_HDR(1).jpg
Hi Monty,
That’s a really nice colour your cars painted in.
Looks a nice spray job as well.
Haven’t had the courage to take my Moggie out yet for fear of people complaining etc, but I could drive it to the supermarket I suppose to get food.
Incidentally, I’ve actually been working throughout the lockdown making parts for ventilators and other medical equipment.
I manage a machine shop and my machines were running flat out over Easter 24 hours a day (and still are as much as possible).
Let’s give a cheer and support British Engineering and Manufacturing in these troubled times👍👏
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I have had the steering wheel off and on many times firstly to install a new indicator switch. As my 69 Traveller has been converted to LHD, the wires are not long enough for a straight connection using the bullets but have to be soldered on to the extension wires. Then the self cancelling did not work........managed to set that up ok but the horn did not as the copper strip was not touching the steering column brass shaft. Tried to bend it but it broke off.....resoldered.......it works (after more attempts)......but now the light on the stalk end does not light up. Checked the voltage from the central flasher unit and it reads almost null volts, so need a new one.
Meantime, have been making a new surround for the glove box on the LHS. Cannot locate a proper one and it that works will try and make a lid for the RHS.

We do not have a complete travel restriction operating so can go for drives in the sunny weather. So glad yesterday that the horn was fixed, someone wanted to open his car door as I was about to drive past and the "toot" made him pause. Why is it that people open their doors without first looking or worse, not caring that another road user is driving/cycling/walking past? One of these days in a bad mood I am going to drive into the open door .......
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

That's odd to hear that the steering column branch of the wiring could not reach the left side. Was there an obstacle in the way. Before you replace the entire turn signal switch, where was your earth probe when you checked the voltage? If you used the chrome stalk, it's earth path may be the problem. I had that problem and ran a second wire down through the tube to a solid point. Perhaps the feed wire inside the tube is broken. This happened to the same car some forty years earlier. Being a convertible, the plastic had deteriorated and fell apart making the repair easy. Perhaps you can push the plastic tip off. There was a repair kit for the plastic tip at one time. I made one out of wood long before the kit was available.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Chappers wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:07 pm Hi Monty,
That’s a really nice colour your cars painted in.
Looks a nice spray job as well.
Haven’t had the courage to take my Moggie out yet for fear of people complaining etc, but I could drive it to the supermarket I suppose to get food.
Incidentally, I’ve actually been working throughout the lockdown making parts for ventilators and other medical equipment.
I manage a machine shop and my machines were running flat out over Easter 24 hours a day (and still are as much as possible).
Let’s give a cheer and support British Engineering and Manufacturing in these troubled times👍👏
Thanks, look closely and there are two shades of blue on the car - the old panels and the new! Can't be too fussy with what has been a daily driver for years now though.

On being nervous about using it - I get as many smiles and nodes as always when doing the fortnightly shop and have come across quite a few police vehicles, none of which cared.

The troublemakers are those using the local roads as racetracks after dark, not Morris owners!
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

jaekl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:30 pm That's odd to hear that the steering column branch of the wiring could not reach the left side. Was there an obstacle in the way. Before you replace the entire turn signal switch, where was your earth probe when you checked the voltage? If you used the chrome stalk, it's earth path may be the problem. I had that problem and ran a second wire down through the tube to a solid point. Perhaps the feed wire inside the tube is broken. This happened to the same car some forty years earlier. Being a convertible, the plastic had deteriorated and fell apart making the repair easy. Perhaps you can push the plastic tip off. There was a repair kit for the plastic tip at one time. I made one out of wood long before the kit was available.
When I did the LHD conversion afew years ago I left the wiring loom as it was and only extended the dip switch wiring and that for the indicator stalk. That is why the connections are still just behind the glove box on the RHS. I did however, do it properly and got hold of the matching colour wires. I think you are right that it is possible to adjust the wire loom more to the left but, if I remember correctly, it would have meant that the wiper motor wiring would need extending. I noticed retrospectively that ESM do an extension for the dip switch but all is working satisfactory.
The earth problem I had before and I have already run an additional black earthwire. The problem is simply the copper strip that somehow is not bent correctly to touch the brass ring on the steering shaft. But I think I have got it now.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I took my Dip Switch apart and saved around £30 on buying a replacement....
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71829&p=652207#p652207
Basil the 1955 series II