Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Stirling Moss

Post by Blaketon »

Sad to hear that Sir Stirling has died after a long illness - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2 ... s-aged-90/ . As a former Minor owner, I don't think we need banish him to Off Topic. Stirling Moss is one of those drivers, who's fame never seemed to fade; a driver who deserved to be World Champion and who, by later points systems, would have been. My father once owned a gearbox, that had been used by Stirling Moss (It was the one he was using when he crashed at Goodwood in 1962), though we didn't know that until years later.

By coincidence, it's 75 year, to the day, since President Roosevelt died. I've just seen that Tim Brooke Taylor has just died and from the prevailing infection.
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Re: Stirling Moss

Post by CaliTrav »

I watched this video this morning as a sort of 'homage' to remember him in his prime. Makes you realise how 'real' racing was then - barely protected, tiny frame, tiny wheels, massive engine... no adjustments to make while running really and no communication with your pit team (such as it was anyway!) with no monitoring of performance etc. Just out there with your wits about you - great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQpj90K3g_M&t
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

What a shame. Well before my time but as a Formula 1 fan and car nut I can fully appreciate his brilliance.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Of course his sister Pat raced Minors too.
Attachments
pat moss.jpg
pat moss.jpg (95.12 KiB) Viewed 972 times
Where angels fear to tread
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

img297.jpg
img297.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 967 times
Being driven spiritedly at Prescott. Note the inside rear wheel.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Very sad news indeed, Sir Stirling Moss, motor racing legend and a true gentleman by all accounts.
May he rest in peace.
Unless of course they've reopened Brooklands in Heaven, in which case he is probably donning racing gloves and helmet at this precise moment. God bless him (hope he wins!).

I fondly remember 'The Goodies', so it is also terribly sad news to hear that Tim Brooke-Taylor has left us, a victim of this bl***y virus, may he also rest in peace.

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)