Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller rear number plate backing plate

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I noticed this came up in another post and the OP was having trouble locating a replacement, all the usual suspects not stocking it.
Except it appears Moss Europe.
So I have attached the link below, for anyone else either looking now or in the future.
Doubtless I'll now be inundated with comments that 'they're available here'...... :wink:
But better, in this case, to have too much knowledge than too little.
(Credit here to 'Bufferzone' for finding it in the first place and posting a link in the other post.)
Link below.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/support-n ... 7552z.html
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Traveller rear number plate backing plate

Post by ManyMinors »

I would say that is a rubber bumper MGB one which is very similar although not the same :wink:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I would say that is a rubber bumper MGB one which is very similar although not the same
To get (copy) a link address for this I looked on the Moss site for it myself, in the Morris Minor section, which is where I found it.
So if this is for the MGB then Moss have wrongly listed it, which I'd hope not.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 pm
I would say that is a rubber bumper MGB one which is very similar although not the same
To get (copy) a link address for this I looked on the Moss site for it myself, in the Morris Minor section, which is where I found it.
So if this is for the MGB then Moss have wrongly listed it, which I'd hope not.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Well it does say on that link that the applicability is

Rear Bumper & Number Plate - Minor Traveller (1951-71)
Rear Bumper & Fittings - Sprite IV & Midget III-1500 (1966-79)
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Not MGB then..... :wink:
(Minor - no pun intended - relief that I'd not missed it :wink: )
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The illustration in your link shows the support plate for a rubber bumper MGB. The curved ends (as opposed to straight on a Minor Traveller) and the position of the mounting holes in the panel are what gives it away.

Maybe if you order one, you will get the correct panel but the one in their picture is MGB. Interestingly, the part number they quote is the support panel for a Mini Van or Estate. I suspect that these might more likely be correct for the Minor? Possibly the rubber bumper Midget also used this. It would be surprising if nobody manufactured it.

It isn't expensive, so probably worth a punt but if I was going to place an order I might ring Moss first to check that they actually supply the correct panel and not the one in their picture.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Maybe if you order one, you will get the correct panel but the one in their picture is MGB
They wouldn't be the first company to use a generic picture, one fits all.
ESM do it with their keys, I noticed recently when I bought one.
Best wishes,
Mike.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I believe the front number plate has a backing panel too.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It does. The cars left the factory with the backing plate fitted to the bumper valance. The dealerships then generally screwed the number plate to this but I did have one (1950s) Minor where the original registration number had been handpainted onto the backing plate at the front and onto bootlid at the rear. The number plate area of the bootlid on early cars was finished in black from the factory to facilitate this.
bufferzone
Minor Friendly

Post by bufferzone »

I looked at my plate on my Trav and it has the curved edges just like the one in the picture. The center section of the bumper mounting bar is bent outwards in the middle. So the curved edges of the plate fit as the plate is longer than this bend area allowing it to be fixed tightly to the bar.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Are you confusing a "curved edge" with a "curved end"? The one in the Moss picture has curved ends, meaning that the shape of the plate is not a rectangle. A Morris Traveller one should be a rectangle. Both should have a return along the edge which gives the plate a bit more strength.
The mounting holes in the Traveller plate are further apart than those shown in the Moss picture too.