Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
noidea
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

fuel

Post by noidea »

this might seem a daft question to some but what is the best unleaded petrol to use cheap or more expensive for a minor i currently put an additive in the fuel

thanks dave
Des911
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: fuel

Post by Des911 »

I've never put expensive fuel in any of my cars, the newer ones adjust themselves and the Moggy uses anything.
1958 4 door Black
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I tend to use Shell V-Power as I have been told that it has less ethanol than regular petrol and we do so few miles the extra cost is minimal. Also the Shell garage is the nearest to us. Certainly the cars runs nicely on V-Power. Having said that we fill up with other petrol when we have to and the world hasn't come to an end yet.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I have never put anything except the cheapest unleaded fuel I can get hold of in my Minor 1000. I have also never purchased any additives. The car has not been fitted with an "unleaded head" or modified in any way since the demise of leaded fuel but runs just as well as ever as far as I can tell. Whether increases in ethanol will cause problems remains to be seen :(
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I usually go to ASDA.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

no need to add additives..esso super unleaded is ethanol-free,as is tesco momentum,and shell v-power,i believe :)
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

Unfortunately finding Ethanol free fuel depends which refinery the base fuel comes from and where you live in the country. Below is copied from Esso website.

"What is the ethanol content of your fuels?
The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland."

https://www.esso.co.uk/fuels-faqs
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

so what your saying manyminors is you dont need lead additives if the head hasnt been modified just put unleaded in

dave
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I'd only worry about unleaded if doing a lot of motorway miles, as it runs hot. I am one of the unlucky few who managed to burn an exhaust valve once but my car was and is a daily driver doing 10k a year.

If you're just pootling about I wouldn't be too bothered, maybe open the exhausts up another 2-3 thou to 14-5 when doing the tappets.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

thanks for the replies only do minimal miles so will leave the way it is
dave
MollyOwner
Minor Friendly

Post by MollyOwner »

I tend to do a few regular 40 mile motorway runs and use additive on each fill up.
Two years ago I took part in a Wolseley Rally and we all stopped at a Shell garage.
I filled up with their top unleaded petrol as an experiment. Totally amazed at how much smoother the car ran and had better acceleration.
Now I use shell every third fill up and do that when my tank is half full.
Hope that helps.