Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andymoor94
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

PARP - How does it happen?

Post by Andymoor94 »

That old Morris bumble, fart, parp, burple, overrun - Whatever you know it as, my 1963 model 1000 did it, but my 1954 803cc doesn't, which saddens me greatly!

What actually causes the fart? I'd like to restore it, indefinitely!
I have an 803cc engine for now, but for those who've seen my other posts will be aware that I have a 948cc going in at some point.

I will be looking to replace my crappy-looking pea-shooter exhaust in the future, so if this contributes at all, then I'd like to know!

Cheers
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: PARP - How does it happen?

Post by Murrayminor »

The distinctive sound from the original Morris Minor is usually heard on the overrun, I should imagine the small bore exhaust has a lot to do with it, changing to a large bore exhaust will allow the exhaust gases to escape more freely therefore you may lose the sound.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Not sure - I have a wider than usual pipe and its really loud!
Tweaking the throttle settings can make a difference.
Once I fitted a new exhaust and the sound was gone - but came back after a couple of hundred miles......no, I can't explain!
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

My Parp disappeared when I rebuilt the SU carb and it now has the later version with the little spring loaded valve in the throttle butterfly plate.
I believe that is the reason on mine, and next time the carb is off, I intend to loctite the little valve closed just to find out.

Phil
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I have a 2.0 Zetec in mine , 2" pipe to the ( nearly - stainless ) original silencer and tail section.

Lovely fart on the over-run , but tends to loose it when hot...

John ;-)
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by MattsGPOvan »

Wow, have been really getting into this at the moment with David Vizards book.

There is so much more to exhausts than I can list here.

exhaust velocity is a big deal and reverse flow , exhaust lengths, exhaust diameter all play a part.

Design of cylinder head , exhaust manifold etc.

Please remember old leaded fuel around 84/85 octane rating now it’s 91 ... Which in theory should increase BHP ??.

I would say it could....could... be back pressure caused by poor silencer design because there is the first silencer quite close the engine ???.

I laugh at the modern boys with there BIG bore Systems... is it great to have a VERY FreeFlo exhaust system..... But according to David vizard for each exhaust stoke you need the right size diameter and velocity speed to exhaust that Gas...

Having a very large diameter exhaust the gas can reverse more and can contaminate the next combustion cycle ... which will decrease BHP.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I would love to get the PARP back. My car, now with twin SUs, an uprated cam, an LCB manifold and the Maniflow system is PARPless.

Given I don't spend much time at high RPM so am not realising much benefit from the wider bore I often consider trying too attach a standard exhaust to the LCB manifold.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly

Post by MattsGPOvan »

Great stuff, what David says is The importance of getting the right diameter on the 1st metre of exhaust to get the exhaust gas speed up ... then you can increase the diameter size of the exhaust further back.

Also having a step from the cylinder head to the exhaust manifold to stop the reverse flow at low RPM.

He also says that manufacturers make exhaust silencer,s to a cost.... and this creates back pressure.

I love all this technical stuff but I’m really into metal shaping.

Check out old metal shaping on Instagram.👍 and on here.....mattsGPOvan
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I would be really interested to know what exhaust you end up going for, if you replace it, and how it is noise-wise. I have a mild steel exhaust from ESM on my Traveller and it is horrendously loud. I enjoy the parp sound and it did make that when new but it disappeared when I added a short chrome tailpipe extension. I did this as it did not clear the bumper and exhaust was getting into the cab through the back doors. The problem with mine is that it has a deafening low to mid pitched drone, like a loud resonant hum at low revs and more akin to a jet engine when driving over 30.

I recently had some chassis work done at the Morris Minor Workshop and they commented that it was unusually loud so I wonder if mine has been badly manufactured.

James
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

There can be quite a lot of variation between exhausts as different manufacturers pack their silencers differently. In addition stainless ones tend to be noisier as stainless is more brittle and resonant. As a final variant deposits in the system will muffle noise, for example if the engine runs rich or burns oil.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I used to test how well my Traveller was tuned by driving down the Bradford on Avon hill. If it Parped loudly all the way down to the town bridge the engine was in fine fettle, but if there was no Parp I knew it was time for a service.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

King Kenny wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:53 pm I used to test how well my Traveller was tuned by driving down the Bradford on Avon hill. If it Parped loudly all the way down to the town bridge the engine was in fine fettle, but if there was no Parp I knew it was time for a service.
I am curious to know what part of the service it was that restored the Parp when needed ?
Carb settings or new air filter maybe ?

Phil
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

My Panda has a really loud parp. I think the silencer must be made of recycled baked bean cans
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_a06.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_a06.jpeg (3.78 MiB) Viewed 2071 times
[img]jpg[/img]
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Not much good for sneaking up on crooks then - they'll hear you coming from miles away! :lol:
Lovely looking car though.
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly

Post by MattsGPOvan »

James k wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:18 pm I would be really interested to know what exhaust you end up going for, if you replace it, and how it is noise-wise. I have a mild steel exhaust from ESM on my Traveller and it is horrendously loud. I enjoy the parp sound and it did make that when new but it disappeared when I added a short chrome tailpipe extension. I did this as it did not clear the bumper and exhaust was getting into the cab through the back doors. The problem with mine is that it has a deafening low to mid pitched drone, like a loud resonant hum at low revs and more akin to a jet engine when driving over 30.

I recently had some chassis work done at the Morris Minor Workshop and they commented that it was unusually loud so I wonder if mine has been badly manufactured.

James
Love this James , about the Chrome tailpipe scenario..... is it because now the exhaust has a radius and that the noise disappears ...... We need to experiment 😉😉👍

Most exhaust silences are poorly made in far away countries.
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

pgp001 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:04 pm
King Kenny wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:53 pm I used to test how well my Traveller was tuned by driving down the Bradford on Avon hill. If it Parped loudly all the way down to the town bridge the engine was in fine fettle, but if there was no Parp I knew it was time for a service.
I am curious to know what part of the service it was that restored the Parp when needed ?

Phil
Or perhaps the points being replaced restoring the ignition timing.
The points gap affects the ignition timing, smaller gap due to nylon heal wear retards the ignition.
Just a thought!
Regards John
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly

Post by MattsGPOvan »

We need a scientific sound test to hear where the sound is strongest.....

Is it near the engine? Design of the Cylinder head with Siamese exhaust port..

Is it near the Siilencer box ?.

Is it at the sharp tip of a small bore exhaust ?

Is it when the engine is cold or hot ?.

As the Morris Minor owners club we need to find out...... it’s the most distinctive exhaust note out there.😉👍

We’re all bored at moment we can do this even from home.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I imagine that the 'parp' is caused by a standing wave created in the exhaust system, effectively behaving as a brass instrument. Adding the chrome tailpiece moves the node about 6" further along and therefore 'tunes out' that resonant frequency.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

pgp001 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:04 pm

Phil
Usually just a general tune up, carb and timing. But to be fair this was often overlooked until the performance had dropped dramatically.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

This might be lockdown madness talking but - could one replace a larger bore performance exhaust with two parallel peashooters? A split at the bulkhead and install one with the silencer towards the rear instead of the front so they don't rattle against eachother.

Double PARP?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.