Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jeff-d
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

water in oil

Post by jeff-d »

hi, I have just bought a 1959 morris minor with a 948 engine and gearbox although it could be a replacement engine as some of the green engine paint has flaked and there is gold paint underneath so it could be a gold seal engine, but let me get to the point of this message I bought the car as it has had a lot of welding done to the floor etc and I was told before I bought the car that it was a good running engine but the gearbox was stuck in reverse, I had the car delivered and checked the oil it had a lot of water mixed in the oil i started the engine and left it running for about 10 seconds sounded as sweet as a nut, so I thought it must be the head gasket had gone, I have taken the head off and the gasket is fine I would say its not very old, there was another problem I was told about one of the core plugs was leaking water so I wonder if the engine has over heated at some stage and warped the head I tried a steel rule across the face of the head but it did not seem too bad could it be a cracked block ,how could I tell if it is, where can I get the head reconditioned as it need new valves etc for unleaded petrol to be honest it is quite a good little car needs a little bit more welding and bodywork is mainly solid, also will need a gearbox just to say Thanks to anybody who can answer these questions. cheers
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: water in oil

Post by philthehill »

Changing the core plug or welch plug is an easy job and parts cheap.
I doubt very much that the block has cracked.
Under the current circumstances I would suggest that your easiest route is to purchase a lead free reconditioned head from ESM with delivery included.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... es-p830120

Fit a good quality copper faced head gasket plus new bypass hose whilst the head is off.

Re-torque the head after the first heat cycle.

I note that the ESM 948cc cylinder head shown in the link above has a boss (but not drilled and tapped) for a temp transmitter

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Regarding the gearbox being stuck in reverse, first try rocking the car back in forth while an assistant works the gear lever into neutral. It may be a simple problem with a loose selector fork; remove the gearbox side cover (this can be done with it still in the car; even easier if you take the gearbox cover off) and check the small nuts securing the brass selector forks to the shafts are tight, as they do sometimes work loose.

Also, remove the remote gearchange mechanism (8 bolts hold it onto the gearbox), and clean/grease the moving parts.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

thanks for your replies, I have bought a recon head from esm and it is now fitted I will remember to retighten the head after the first runout, I have another question about the gearbox I have just bought a smooth midget gearbox with a minor gearstick fitted so I suppose that its been fitted to a minor at some point, the gears select smooth and easy I took the side plate off and every thing looks okay but the first motion shaft has quite a bit of play, so I am hoping to renew the bearing on the shaft, its a( 948 engine and gearbox) the problem is how do you get the nut off the shaft as a normal socket is to short, and can I take the shaft and bearing out without having to strip out the whole of the gearbox, the gear box is a midget gold seal so has been reconditioned at some point even if it was a long time ago. cheers
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The first motion shaft will have play if the front of the shaft is not fitted into the spigot bush in the end of the crankshaft. Play is normal.
Do not be in any rush to strip out the bearing.

How 'bad' is the play?

jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

hi phil the play is 3 to 4 mm moving it side to side and about the same up and down. cheers jeff
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

That in my opinion is not excessive. If there is no roughness in the first motion shaft bearing I would fit the gearbox and enjoy.

jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

thanks phil
jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

hi Phil could you explain how you renewed the bearing on the first motion shaft did you withdraw it out through the bellhousing or through the gearbox i have decided to renew the bearing as it feels rough when turned cheers
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The above guide is good.
Page 12 & 16 cover/describes the first motion shaft bearing replacement.

Take everything nice and slow and if you are not sure ask on here.

Good luck.

Phil

jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

thanks Phil, i will print this off cheers jeff