Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
darrenj
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

fuel sender

Post by darrenj »

Hello all, I need some advice please, I filled up my mog ready for a run but the run got cancelled, however, I think someone has stolen my fuel, the cap was off and now the tank says empty, if someone syphoned my fuel could they have damaged the sender as I've topped up and the gauge only goes to the E, any help as ever greatly appreciated ,.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: fuel sender

Post by ManyMinors »

Anything is possible but....before you do anything else, just check inside the boot and make sure that the wire is attached to the sender unit - which is fitted into the top of the fuel tank. If that is in place, then you'll have to move on to the next thing.....
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Well if they have syphoned off your fuel, it would depend on how far in they pushed the hose, as to whether they damaged the sender. It is quite a way over (assuming you have a standard tank).
The Sender would've been raised to the top when they did it, if the tank was full to start with, so I doubt it's damaged unless they were really aggressive about it.

Have you given the tank a knock on the bottom to see if it sounds empty (like a drum)?

Have you tried putting a length of something semi-flexible down the filler cap to act as a 'dipstick'?
If need be, gain access the sender and remove it to check it.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

He does say he's topped it up.......
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

What sort of speedo is it? Gold or black faced? The gold ones, at least, can get stuck sometimes, which a gentle thump on the speedo face will release.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 pm He does say he's topped it up.......
Opps. missed that bit.

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 pm What sort of speedo is it? Gold or black faced? The gold ones, at least, can get stuck sometimes, which a gentle thump on the speedo face will release.
That's true, I've had it happen a couple of times with my Gold one, but only after the car has stood for a few weeks. A little calibrated knuckle knock on the gauge is always the first option. I must admit I kind of assumed everyone did that .... :lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Thanks guys, I have a gold speedo and that was the first thing I thought, however no luck, is removing the sender as simple as it looks and would I need a new gasket or can I use the old if good enough, thanks again.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well having done it, I would say:
A ) Yes it's easy (so long as you haven't overfilled the tank, making the level higher than the top of the tank :wink: )
B ) You can reuse the old one so long as it's in good condition (I certainly did and that was a couple of years ago)

Are you OK with doing basic electrical fault finding on it, checking for power etc?

Just edited to correct a typo that I spotted.
Last edited by geoberni on Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I would make sure you have a new gasket handy. The old one MIGHT be re-useable but......
It is a simple job - just the 6 (I think?) visible screws to remove.
One tip: If you have topped up the tank as you say, drive the car around a bit first and use some fuel up. Or at least drain some fuel out.
DON'T be tempted to remove the sender unit from a full tank because you'll have fuel everywhere :x
Some folk will tell you not to but I used a very light smear of blue hermetite on each side of the gasket and on the screw threads to prevent any fuel leakage once re-assembled. THe fixing screws need to be tight but not TOO tight otherwise the gasket can squeeze out. Just take care when re-fitting.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I think the other thing this proves the need for, in these times we live in, is a lockable fuel cap.
If you want one I've attached some links below for you pick from.
It will deter the opportunist who doesn't want to get caught, which most of them are.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... BB7&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... IAQ&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... BBj&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... rAQ&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... oAg&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... TAQ&adurl=
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Thanks everyone, excellent responses again, may attempt at weekend after a drive to burn some fuel, yes I am able to use voltmeter so no probs there, good advice to get spare gasket just in case, thanks again😎