Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

ethanol

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Some of us have not driven our cars for a while. Is there a danger that whatever ethanol there may be present in the petrol is separating out and trying to eat its way through the petrol tank?
Thanks, John.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: ethanol

Post by Murrayminor »

Current petrol in most pumps is E5 meaning there is already 5% ethanol in the fuel already, the E10 adds another 5% of ethanol.
Ethanol does cause rubber parts to deteriorate over a period of time.

I have lifted the below from the British Motorcycle federation:

Ethanol is also a potent solvent. As a result, there is a significant risk of serious damage to aluminium, zinc, copper, brass, magnesium alloys, galvanized metals, seals, hoses, cork, fiberglass, rubber, polyurethane and epoxy resin – all of which can be found in the fuel systems of many classic bikes.

It doesn't mention mild steel so there may be a theory that the fuel in the tank may be ok, but the remaining parts of the fuel system my need to be inspected on a regular basis.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

However, ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning that it attracts water from the air and, over time , the water will separate out and lie on the bottom of the tank promoting rusting. :o
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

However, ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning that it attracts water from the air and, over time , the water will separate out and lie on the bottom of the tank promoting rusting. :o
So I wonder if they can explain to the average motorist, what the advantage is in putting this destructive stuff in fuel?
And if the reason they are giving out is the usual PC BS, I still don't see the point, as they are planning on phasing out all internal combustion engined cars over the next 20 to 30 years anyway........ :roll:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I think the idea is that by switching arable land from growing food to crops to make ethanol then more people will starve to death, the world population will drop and therefore less CO2 will be produced. Oh, hang on. Maybe I've got that wrong......

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

All interesting stuff. Is it a good idea to go out and rock the car a bit to keep the petrol mixed?
Is it best to keep a lot of petrol in the tank, or a little?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

It's not just Classics that are affected ; the change to E10 affects a lot of vehicles pre 2002.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emis ... ffect-you/
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Just drive the car more, most of these issues are over-hyped. Some people take the car out a couple of times a year and have an annual mileage of 400 then wonder why the car deteriorates and leaks petrol.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:01 pm Is it best to keep a lot of petrol in the tank, or a little?
If you brim the tank before any lay up of the vehicle there's less/no space in the tank above the fuel level for moisture-laden air to sit so less/no hygroscopic take-up of water by the fuel (or so theory has it 8) ).
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I think the idea is that by switching arable land from growing food to crops to make ethanol then more people will starve to death, the world population will drop and therefore less CO2 will be produced. Oh, hang on. Maybe I've got that wrong......
:lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Myrtles Man wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 pm
stuffedpike20 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:01 pm Is it best to keep a lot of petrol in the tank, or a little?
If you brim the tank before any lay up of the vehicle there's less/no space in the tank above the fuel level for moisture-laden air to sit so less/no hygroscopic take-up of water by the fuel (or so theory has it 8) ).
Thanks.
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

Myrtles Man wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 pm
never understood why anyone would do that. I've laid my saloon up as I don't have time this year to drive it. I emptied the tank and then run the car until it stopped, meaning the fuel had run out. I have a stainless tank fitted so rust isn't a factor.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

ampwhu wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:17 pm [quote="Myrtles Man" post_id=653976 time=<a href="tel:1590699220">1590699220</a> user_id=46267]
[quote=stuffedpike20 post_id=653968 time=<a href="tel:1590685270">1590685270</a> user_id=46395]
Is it best to keep a lot of petrol in the tank, or a little?
[/quote]

never understood why anyone would do that. I've laid my saloon up as I don't have time this year to drive it. I emptied the tank and then run the car until it stopped, meaning the fuel had run out. I have a stainless tank fitted so rust isn't a factor.
[/quote]

Maybe they do it because they don’t have stainless steel tanks?!!!!!
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

or maybe they waste money?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It's extremely rare a continually used fuel tank rusts from the inside out. The filling station where you get your petrol from has big underground tanks which aren't always full... and there is a permissible water content.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

ampwhu wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:41 pm or maybe they waste money?
What ! A Morris Minor owner waste money ?

jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

I can see the point of filling the tank with a sealed fuel system, but what about one where the cap is vented as ours is?
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Put clingfilm under the cap? (But don't forget to remove it when you want to use the car! :o )
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I agree with an earlier comment. It seems a bit pointless putting ethanol in petrol when they’re concentrating on phasing out new internal combustion engines.

But since they’re doing it anyway, do any of the lead additives or fuel stabilisers on the market act to reduce the harm that ethanol can do?

I’ve read conflicting opinions.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com