Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Rolling road in the north

Post by Mark Wilson »

There's some danger of my Traveller seeing daylight soon. Has anyone a recommendation for somewhere with a rolling road and suitable experiene of setting up SU carburettors? Preferably within a couple of hours drive from Leeds, but further possible for somewhere particularly good. Conversely, if you've negative feedback on anywhere please PM me!
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rolling road in the north

Post by liammonty »

The only one that I've any experience with is potentially a little far from you (around 2.5 hours) - it's the Southam Mini and Metro Centre, just outside Southam in Warwickshire. They did a great job reprofiling a needle for me to get my heavily modified 948 running right, and it's now putting out somewhere in the order of 55 bhp (if you believe their rolling road!) but importantly, runs beautifully. I've used them a few times and they've been great, and aren't overpriced, either.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I would be willing to do this for you if you don't get anywhere. I am near J21 M62.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks guys, very helpful. Southam Mini sounds like the right sort of place and the location isn't out of the question once I'm allowed to stay with my friends in Banbury, whenever that will be.

JJ - that's very kind of you and if I don't get sorted elsewhere I may well take you up on it. I'm planning on a rolling road session because this is a 1275 Midget engine with an unleaded mini head, mini manifold, HS4 carb and standard exhaust, all of which are new to me and to each other. I can't remember what needle I used, but it could only be an approximate guess, which is where I think a rolling road and more ability and experience than I've got wiould be a good idea.

I've got it running ok at idle, but yet to see what it's like on the road.

Thanks again

Mark
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Have you considered Minisport at Padiham?
I have used the rollers thee for a variety of vehicles and always had decent service plus they know the A series engine quite well.

https://www.minisport.com/rolling-road-tuning
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks, that's easily reached. I was in Padiham not long ago collecting a classical guitar from a chap called Carl, who turned out to be a Morris owner. Don't suppose you know him?
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Mark Wilson wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:14 am Thanks, that's easily reached. I was in Padiham not long ago collecting a classical guitar from a chap called Carl, who turned out to be a Morris owner. Don't suppose you know him?
No, I live further down the road in Bury
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Just make sure your valve clearances are correct before submitting it for tuning.