Gear box cover plate

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SamMorris2019
MMOC Member: Yes

Gear box cover plate

Post by SamMorris2019 »

What sealant would be best to use when sealing down the gearbox cover plate?
Would normal black rtv sealant do?
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Gear box cover plate

Post by pgp001 »

I would use a paper gasket and maybe a smear of blue Hylomar.
RTV will be a pig to remove later, it has no place on engine/gearbox parts IMHO.

Phil
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I don't think he's talking about engine or gearbox parts :wink: I would use a body caulking strip I think.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Ah yes, I jumped to the conclusion it was the one on the actual gearbox.

For the sheet steel gearbox floor cover I used this stuff.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neoprene-Str ... 2749.l2649

Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the cover plate was that fitted to the side of the gearbox there is absolutely no need form any form of sealant. Just lightly smear both sides of the gasket with grease and fit. It keeps the gasket supple and allows the gasket to be easily removed and re-used if necessary.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

If the cover plate was that fitted to the side of the gearbox there is absolutely no need form any form of sealant. Just lightly smear both sides of the gasket with grease and fit. It keeps the gasket supple and allows the gasket to be easily removed and re-used if necessary.
That's an interesting tip Phil, one I shall make a note of.
On the gearbox that I was going to use but which turned out to have jammed gears someone had stuck all the gaskets in place (including the front one around the first motion shaft) with silicone sealant, it was a right pig to clean / scrape it all off, so I could replace the gaskets. It also looked a complete mess.
And then after all that it needs repairing. Fortunately I have a spare.
Perhaps I should have taken the 'silicone splurge' as a sign and left it alone..... :roll: :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

jagnut66 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 am
That's an interesting tip Phil, one I shall make a note of.
On the gearbox that I was going to use but which turned out to have jammed gears someone had stuck all the gaskets in place (including the front one around the first motion shaft) with silicone sealant, it was a right pig to clean / scrape it all off, so I could replace the gaskets. It also looked a complete mess.
And then after all that it needs repairing. Fortunately I have a spare.
Perhaps I should have taken the 'silicone splurge' as a sign and left it alone..... :roll: :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Going slightly off topic I have been researching the best way to rebuild a 1275 gearbox and noticed a few people mention the addition of a spacer (washer) to the selector rod in order to stop the gearbox over selecting gears and thus jamming them in position.
The spacer stops the gear from sliding over the indent which pops out and jams the gear in place.

That could be the issue with your box Mike.

Regards
Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Going slightly off topic I have been researching the best way to rebuild a 1275 gearbox and noticed a few people mention the addition of a spacer (washer) to the selector rod in order to stop the gearbox over selecting gears and thus jamming them in position.
The spacer stops the gear from sliding over the indent which pops out and jams the gear in place.

That could be the issue with your box Mike.

Regards
Dermot.
Thanks for the suggestion Dermot, I will check out that possibility.
That box is on the bench, awaiting me having time to pull it apart and take a look, which will be after the car is back on the road now......
All being well with the other box. It seems okay, fingers crossed.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)