Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dp
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Old school Ford V4s

Post by dp »

Is anyone still driving around in a V4 converted Minor? I believe they were popular back in the day before Fiat T/Cs and front member notching?

As I understand it the Essex V4 were extremely heavy and the Taunus ones 100 lb less so. But did they shake themselves apart or are they reliable? Saab seemed to know how to extract good horsepower from the Taunus ones.

I've seen a few youtubes of the old V4s and they sound so great - to me at least.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Old school Ford V4s

Post by Myrtles Man »

Back in the late sixties I had a Corsair 2000, possibly the worst car I've ever owned. You'd be hard pressed to describe the engine as 'smooth-running', it was no where near as fast/powerful as you might have reasonably expected (it was pitched against the Rover 2000 and Triumph 2000 after all) and it had a dipsomaniac's thirst for petrol.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

That would have been the heavy Essex V4. I remember someone having a V4 capri when they were worthless and they would pull one plug lead off and the whole car would shake. I think that drove/was pushed into the scrapyard for £20 (1980s)

Anyone ever fit the Cologne /Taunus V4? Perhaps that wasn't in anything sold over here apart from Saabs.

I don't think of the V4 as smooth running but sound great nonetheless. Here's an extreme version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K6ba-ROFfw
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by blue_cortina »

dp wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:35 pm Saab seemed to know how to extract good horsepower from the Taunus ones.
The engine in the 96 is indeed good and from what I remember the car nips along quite nicely..
Helping my son with his Morris Minor 1970 Panda Car Replica (both club members)
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

There are a few Tanus/Cologne V4s kicking about in this country...

People bring over Transit Feurwehrs and almost immediately change to an English engine variant to provide a bit more poke
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Thanks guys