Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
docgibbons
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

hood blown back

Post by docgibbons »

i was driving home from a shopping trip today with the hood up (it was raining) in my converted saloon when the hood suddenly blew backwards with enough force to buckle the frame. Which means i am no longer able to connect the hood to the two front pins, and the hood is partly ripped in a couple of places. Does anyone know if this kind of thing is covered by insurance (i'm with footman james) or is it just a case of hard luck?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: hood blown back

Post by les »

One way to find out. Give them a call. If you claim you’ll loose any NCB. So you need to calculate the economics of it.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Did you have the conversion done, do it yourself, or buy it like that; and how long ago was it done? Just wondering about whether you can claim against the firm doing the conversion? Even if it was something you had done professionally and recently, it would still be difficult to prove that it was faulty materials or workmanship that caused it rather than incorrect use, but might be wirth a try. Obviously a correctly fitted, maintained and used hood should not fly open.
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

it was converted professionally about 15 years ago, and the hood was replaced by charles ware about 6 years ago, so should be no issues there. meantime, i have been told by footman james insurer (Ageas) that the claim is valid, and i am starting that process now and reply when the issue is either resolved or not.
Deaconbrody
Minor Friendly

Post by Deaconbrody »

Interesting post for all the convertible owners.

I bought my convertible from Charles Ware about 6 years ago.

I must admit I am always checking the two screws that tighten into the posts under the sun visors. On occasion I have found them to require a wee tighten!

All the best,

Ian
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

The day that I bought my converted convertible3 years ago,when the car was being delivered on the back of a transporter lorry the roof flew back and bent the frame.
I bought an old frame off ebay and painted it first before fitting the old cover.
I also replaced the screw in bolts with a pair of flip down clasps that have been far mor substantial than the originals and also look the part.
When I inspected the holes of the bolts initially,the threads werent so clever.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

having a new hood fitted at charles ware tomorrow. just over a grand for the job, new frame and hood. and it was covered by the insurance so just the £100 excess.
one question: would it be worth having a hood bag to go with it, or is is just an un-necessary addition to what it already a fairly fiddly job that sometimes needs to be done at speed (ie putting it up quickly when a sudden rain squall hits). anyone have a positive/negative experiences regarding hood bags? an extra £160 (inc vat) or so at current prices.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

If you put down the hood properly, the hood bag is essential to hold everything in place and is the only way to get an original sized bag to fit. The hood material is to be separated from the hood sticks and laid out on the boot. Then corners folded, all folded in half and then up over the hood sticks. Without the bag on the material would just flip back onto the boot. Someone else told me that if you don't secure the hood bag with the two Lift the Dot fasteners along the back, the whole bundle can get sucked forward at high speed. With the hood stowed as described, it can be raised quit quickly. One walk around to undo the bag and then knelling on the back seat you can pull the front stick straight up and onto the windscreen with everything falling into place. A quick outside trip to fasten at the base of the rear windows and you're off again.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree with the above: You need a hood cover if you are folding the hood properly :wink:
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

new hood all fitted now, and thanks for all your input. i may yet invest in a hood bag, probably leave it until next spring now, although wayne at charles ware showed me a terrific way of foliding and tucking away, so it looks pretty neat without the bag. much better than the slapdash way i used to leave it flapping about. he also demonstrated how to make sure that the hood is properly fastened so it won't suddenly blow back and buckle the frame., so i intend to practise until it becomes second nature.