Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Hmmm? Which one to go for?

Post by Owlsman »

Looking for a convertible to get your teeth into?

Exhibit no. 1 :https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1964-Morris- ... SwYZlfLk-F
Admittedly, a 'conversion' but reasonably priced, I think, at £3995 or a bit less.

Exhibit no. 2 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-MORR ... t#viTabs_0
Words fail me......which doesn't happen very often.....at £999.99 or a LOT LESS if you've got any sense :D
mobylette
Minor Fan

Re: Hmmm? Which one to go for?

Post by mobylette »

No 1 : Date of first registration is June 1980 so not tax or MOT exempt. I presume for "rebodied" we should read "number plates swapped"? Looks like a can of worms to me.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Tax exemption is based on the date of original manufacture, not the date of registration.
Many cars have been re-registered, for all sorts of reasons.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Correct, thanks for the clarification.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree that having been built into another body (the original convertible's ID having been screwed to a converted saloon body at some stage) will make the car unattractive to some.
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

Looks like Exhibit no. 2 has been advertised on another website before. Back in July it was for sale in Market Drayton at £950 or near offer. https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1249976
Now for sale in Blackburn at £999.99 and comparing the photos it seems to be missing the gearbox and passenger door. So getting lighter and appreciating in value! Also according to the current listing the lucky buyer will now have to apply for a new registration number as the original is sold. Although how the registration could be sold without the V5C and a current MOT is anyone's guess.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

That's the disadvantage of having bulkhead VIN plates that are (on all the ones I've seen and taken notice of) held in place by screws.
Unscrew the vin plate, transfer it to a half decent Minor, put it through an MOT, secure a pass and Bob's your uncle.....
Alternatively there are still those around that can be 'paid' for a (dodgy) MOT certificate.....
Unfortunately, I suspect in this case, that 'where there's a will there's a way'......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Dogsdad
Minor Friendly

Post by Dogsdad »

Yes.
Long ago I knew a chap who owned two green Minors.
One set of number plates and a transferable bulkhead plate and bobs your uncle as you say.
Handy when one car needed repair. I wonder if in the end he knew one car from the other.

R.M.