DavetheRave
MMOC Member: Yes

Speedo recalibration?

Post by DavetheRave »

Hi all, my first posting as only a recent member and proud owner of Mabel
Mabel
Mabel
20200716_090851.jpg (779.6 KiB) Viewed 738 times
. Although in my ownership for about 3 months now though she's been off the road for about 2 of them! Various problems including head gasket, wheel bearing, clonking suspension....all sorted now but took the opportunity to do a few upgrades as well. Had to remove the engine to have the main block skimmed as well as the head, new trunions and wheel bearings and stuff. Upgrades where and lcb stainless manifold, HIF44 carb along with new inlet manifold, K&N, and electronic ignition, which I swear starts as soon as you touch the key - you don't have to turn it! I also had installed a Sierra 5 speed gearbox which included a fitting kit from ESM. The gearbox is lovely and goes well with 1275 Marina engine which should be a bit beefier and drops the revs to a far more comfortable level when cruising. A lot of the work carried out by Steve Hawes (unfortunately not related to the lovely actress Keeley Hawes) of Classi Motors here in Plymouth, Devon.
My problem is after the gearbox fitting the speedo is under reading by 5mph at 30 and creeps up to 10mph at 60. ie reading 25mph and 50mph respectively (checked with GPS speedo app). I was under the impression that the speedo cable was compatible (some sort of gearing in the cable) with the existing speedo so recalibration wasn't necessary? Charles Ware lists a recalibrated speedo but it says there are none in stock. Can the speedo be sent off to be done and who is it that does this? I don't want to go down the route of putting markers on the speedo, would rather it was done properly. Thanks
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Speedo recalibration?

Post by ManyMinors »

Welcome to the forum. Your car looks very fine 8) although it seems you've had to replace a lot of parts already. I'm sure it will reward you.
Try Speedograph Richfield or Speedy Cables for your speedo needs. I'm sure other companies will also do the job.
Funny you mention Keeley Hawes. She is also a proud Morris Minor owner.
DavetheRave

Post by DavetheRave »

Bloody hell, is she? More than just a pretty face then obviously! A discerning woman of taste lol. Thanks for the info, will give them a try on Monday and let you know how I get on. Cheers :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
If you have no joy with them, or simply want to compare prices, I always use JDO Instruments, link below, for recalibrating my speedo's, time clock rebuilds etc. and can recommend them.
Nice looking convertible by the way. :D
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.jdo1.com/
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Here's another option...

Declan Burns on this forum makes gearboxes that fit to the back of speedos to correct readings. You can send him a private message through this forum. Its is one of his hobbies.

Don
DavetheRave

Post by DavetheRave »

Thanks everyone for your help, will look into these and see what is the best option for me.