Paint availability

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
VickyM
MMOC Member: Yes

Paint availability

Post by VickyM »

I`m in need of some 400ml aerosols of Clarendon Grey GR6. The ones that were sold by Bull Motif were a pretty good match but the recent ones from Morris Minor Spares are much too light. Bull Motif don`t have any old stock at all and I don`t particularly want a litre tin. Charles Ware are awaiting supplies, so, does anybody know of a good source and colour match please?
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Paint availability

Post by les »

You could try ESM minors,I bought some Almond green recently. the downside Is the postage, sending aerosols puts the price up.

VickyM

Post by VickyM »

Thanks for your reply. I should have clarified that it was ESM, web is called morrisminorspares, that I got some from that was too pale, almost a blue in fact. I know what you mean about extra charges; some companies will mix, then they add VAT and have huge delivery charges. One place it worked out to near on £29 a can.
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

Try a local auto paint supplier. They can mix up what ever colour you need or can match existing paint. They also have the facilty to put it into a can
VickyM

Post by VickyM »

Thanks Mowogg. I think I might just try that.
I`ve in fact discovered that is most probably what ESM and Bull Motif both do; the empty cans being supplied by Monofil.
I read on the Morris Oxford site a formular for Clarendon Grey: Blue 8%,Black12%,Grey 71% and Yellow orchre 9%, does anybody know if that`s right?
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

My local paint suppliers have all that info. They can turn around stock paint while you wait. They have also matched paint and put it in a can from a bike frame

Depending on when you car was painted it could well have faded a bit. The challenge of course is getting a piece off for them to match.
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

That formula will be different from different paint manufacturers,as their tinters will be all different ,you would need to know what make of paint it was mixed from, when mixing by volume its not as accurate as weight as well .Most systems have multiple blacks,blues,greys and yellow orchres

VickyM

Post by VickyM »

Ahhhhh, nothing is easy is it?
I think it`s probably best to buy a litre of one described as Clarendon Grey and "blend" in other colours to get it as near right as poss.
Thanks to all for your replies.