Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Garage Floor paint

Post by ndevans »

Has anyone used garage floor paint? Since my garage will be empty for a couple of weeks, I'm going to take the opportunity to clear it out. The floor is concrete, and very dusty, so I see garage floor paint as a way of sealing it.
Are there any particular brands to recommend or avoid?
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Garage Floor paint

Post by Nickol »

Before you apply any concrete paint, it is wise to put on a surface sealant to prevent the surface dusting again. I do not know what it is called in english but your DIY place will certainly know.
Depending on the existing surface texture, you may also like to consider laying a self levelling screed compund which will result in a very smooth surface.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I agree that a stabilising treatment on the concrete will pay dividends in the long run.
If the existing surface has a rough texture the paint will wear off the high spots quite rapidly, regardless of its quality.
Ask me how I know😂😂
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I would say, don't skimp.
If you're going to do it, you want to get it right.
Go for something that is Industrial garage/warehouse grade.

Many of them you can just dilute the first coat to be the surface sealer.
Your problem right now will be that it's getting colder and many of the better products are typically 2part epoxy type substances with a minimum application surface temp of 10 deg C. Thy don't cure at lower temperatures.

So you'll probably have to go for a non epoxy type.
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Just something else for you to consider......https://www.csi-products.co.uk/deckplat ... 5bAFoj7SUk

Not necessarily this particular brand/tile - I just googled it and picked it at random.

Over the years, I have tried all sorts of garage floor paints and none of them really worked. My son works for those people who sell stuff that ''says what it does on the tin'', but even their industrial products that he got for me, only looked good for a short while before it started flaking and chipping.

I did eventually bite the bullet and bought some of these tiles and I have to say I am so pleased with the final result. Easy to sweep clean, looks good, and very comfortable to walk (even lay) on. Since putting the above link on, I've remembered where I bought mine from:-
https://www.bigdug.co.uk/mats-flooring- ... gI4KfD_BwE

My other son, who told me about them in the first place, is also well pleased with the final result.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Owlsman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:02 pm Just something else for you to consider......https://www.csi-products.co.uk/deckplat ... 5bAFoj7SUk

Not necessarily this particular brand/tile - I just googled it and picked it at random.

Surely that sort of thing is for people to walk on hence the description Anti-Fatigue Matting
comfortable cushion foam backing
Can't see it lasting with jacks, axle stands etc being placed on it.

Also says:
Limited resistance to chemicals and oils
Perhaps the one you have is a different thing.... :-?

Personally, the best garage floor I ever had was when I lived in the USA. Over there the 2 part Epoxy stuff is regarded as the 'normal' and they usually do it with contrasting 'paint chips' sprinkled on the surface, an extra which you usually just can't get over here.
On all of ebay uk, I found one seller offering it in a 'garage floor kit': www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rust-Oleum-EpoxyShie ... SwqfVfIX9w

I don't think your
My son works for those people who sell stuff that ''says what it does on the tin'', but even their industrial products that he got for me, only looked good for a short while before it started flaking and chipping.
company do an Epoxy coating.
Last edited by geoberni on Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

Mmm. I have a garage approx 27' x 17'. That would cost some £6300 with one of the matting products listed above. I might not get that past the home treasury...
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

I did think about vinyl floor tiles, but I guess they wouldn't stand up to abuse from jacks, axle stands etc. Although I suppose you could use hardboard or MDF to protect the surface where the jack or axle stands is.
cheers N

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ndevans wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:41 pm I did think about vinyl floor tiles, but I guess they wouldn't stand up to abuse from jacks, axle stands etc. Although I suppose you could use hardboard or MDF to protect the surface where the jack or axle stands is.
They wouldn't like oil, brake fluid, petrol etc either....
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

To be honest, I didn't look too closely at the first 'link' I brought up. I was just after something that showed the shape/style of tile that I used. :oops:

The ones I actually used were from Big Dug and like my son, I bought a 'Single Garage Pack' which costs about £400 and we both had plenty of tiles left over (probably enough tiles to do 50% of another single garage between us).

The tiles are obviously made from recycled cables/wire as tiny particles of coloured cable and copper wire are easily visible. They are VERY strong and I had to saw each one to size when fitting up to the walls with my best and sharpest wood saw!

I haven't had occasion to use either my scissor or trolley jacks in the garage to lift the car but as and when I do, I will use some plywood, or similar, to spread the load to be on the safe side......although I do have plenty of spare tiles :D
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

I used this paint https://www.toolstation.com/leyland-tra ... -5l/p64607 after vacuuming the floor carefully to remove the dust. Gave it two coats. Did the job, no more dust, easy to wipe up the inevitable oil leaks , and appears hard wearing ( been down 6 year ).
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

GavinL wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 pm I used this paint https://www.toolstation.com/leyland-tra ... -5l/p64607 after vacuuming the floor carefully to remove the dust. Gave it two coats. Did the job, no more dust, easy to wipe up the inevitable oil leaks , and appears hard wearing ( been down 6 year ).
I was looking at that earlier. Did you use a dilute solution as a sealing layer first?
cheers N

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I lined the complete garage floor with 3/4" thick plywood sheets, they came from used packing cases. I get no more damp in there now. and it is not as cold on the feet when working in there or laying on the floor etc.
I also got some 1" thick polystyrene and lined the underside of the steel roofing sheets with it, that stops any condensation forming and dripping on everything.

Phil P
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

It’s a garage floor
Your gonna walk on it
Your gonna drive a car over it
Your gonna spill things on it
Your gonna fix a car on it
Make sure you prepare the surface as best you can because no doubt things have been already spilt on it and will have have soaked into the surface. Then use a decent paint.
Ideally it would be better to leave the paint as long as possible to harden but it’s the wrong time of the year to paint if there is no heat source available.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I did mine a few years ago. It's been a big improvement.

I brushed it out and cleaned off the oil as best I could but my time window to do it was a little limited so the surface was not perfect

I used a 2 part epoxy paint off of ebay. There was quite a lot of fumes so I used a mask whxih I would recommend. I think I used a sacrificial Broom to spread the paint with as it's ideal to do it as quickly as possible.

It's has been really good (10 years approx)

I would recommend you do it quickly and then let is harden.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Thanks all, some good advice there. I will have a 2-3 week window when the garage will be empty, this is likely to be in the next month. In that time, I've got to clear the garage of the "stuff" that accumulates, so that the floor is exposed as much as possible, go through and get rid of things I don't need, like old tins of paint etc, clean the floor of dust as well as I can, seal it and paint it. I won't have time to lay a screed, and I don't really want to do this anyway, as the garage floor is level with the drive, and I don't want to raise it.
If I think I can get an epoxy to dry and cure properly, that sounds like the way to go, otherwise it will have to be the Leyland floor paint posted above.
cheers N

GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

ndevans wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:55 pm
GavinL wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 pm I used this paint https://www.toolstation.com/leyland-tra ... -5l/p64607 after vacuuming the floor carefully to remove the dust. Gave it two coats. Did the job, no more dust, easy to wipe up the inevitable oil leaks , and appears hard wearing ( been down 6 year ).
I was looking at that earlier. Did you use a dilute solution as a sealing layer first?
No I just brushed and vacuumed the floor to get it dust free. I put the paint on with a roller, it goes off quite quickly so be prepared and work quickly, don't expect to be able to clean the roller or tray! I think I managed about half a tin of paint per roller before the paint on the roller became so tacky I couldn't use it any more
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

GavinL wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 am
No I just brushed and vacuumed the floor to get it dust free. I put the paint on with a roller, it goes off quite quickly so be prepared and work quickly, don't expect to be able to clean the roller or tray! I think I managed about half a tin of paint per roller before the paint on the roller became so tacky I couldn't use it any more
What sort of coverage did you get?
I note the description says
Coverage approx 11m² per litre.
On that basis a typical modern garage (around 13-14m²) should get 3 or 4 coats from a 5L tin.

I know my garage is slightly over 13m², adequate for a small car, but before Basil took up residence, my Kuga was a tight fit.
Basil the 1955 series II

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I would need 15ishL for a single coat :lol:
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Matt wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:22 pm I would need 15ishL for a single coat :lol:
Now I've got garage envy.... :)
Basil the 1955 series II