Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Time traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fuel pump

Post by Time traveller »

Hi, my 1968 traveller was making a ticking noise which started to get worse. I located it down to the fuel pump. I fitted a new pump which was straight forward. Turned the ignition on and you could hear the pump pumping until it had the petrol through then went quiet. Started her up and low and behold the new pump is ticking. It is slower at lower revs but an increase in revs and the ticking increases. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what I should be doing to put this right. My feeling whether right or wrong is that petrol is not getting to the pump in enough quantity. Please can someone help. Thanks to all, Paul.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel pump

Post by philthehill »

If you have a dynamo fitted it could be that you do not have a constant level of voltage at the pump. When you speed up the engine you get more current out of the dynamo so the pump works quicker. When the engine slows down you get less current out of the dynamo so the pump works slower.
Check for a constant current at the fuel pump and check the earthing of the pump. Do you have the earth lead fitted to the pump. Correct earthing only through the two mount bolts cannot be guaranteed.

mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Hi

Unless I've missed something, I can't see what the problem is. Ticking is the exact noise the pump is supposed to make as its diapraghm pings back and forth to push the petrol through. It stops moving when there's enough petrol pressure at its output pipe, ie the carb float chamber is momentarily full. And it naturally clicks faster when you rev the engine, as there's a greater demand for petrol.
If the engine keeps running, and there's no petrol leaking out anywhere, everything strikes me as normal.
Perhaps you never noticed the ticking before? Has something in the car recently got quieter? New thicker carpets, stereo broken, kids left home?
Time traveller
Minor Friendly

Post by Time traveller »

Hi, I quite agree that the pumps needs to work however the tick is very loud and can be heard inside above all the other noises. I have just come in as I have checked the incoming fuel line at the joint all seams ok. I checked the rubber fuel line to the carb and all ok. I have checked the voltage and have a steady 12v no fluctuations. I have run her with the fuel cap off, no difference so not a vacuum and checked the earth. I can understand a small tapping as you say the diaphragm has to move but this is quite a clunk. The last pump actually got louder as we went that’s why I bought a new one thinking it was on it’s way out. If they are meant to be this loud and it’s running as should, would it be any use me putting rubbers to absorb the noise. Thank you, Paul.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You could mount the fuel pump on a plate which is mounted on rubber bobbins to insulate the noise of the pump but you must ensure the pump is earthed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Mount ... %3A2334524

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'd be questioning why the new one is so loud.
To be honest, I wouldn't've brought a replacement until I'd taken the old one apart to see why it was so noisy.
Better to service /overhaul the old one that buy a modern one built heavens knows where.
But we are where we are.... What's making it so noisy?
Poor manufacturing tolerances allowing the moving parts to slap around, or something else?

If it's that noisy now, what's it going to be like in a hundred hours or so of running...?
Basil the 1955 series II

Time traveller
Minor Friendly

Post by Time traveller »

Thanks for that. I think I will isolate it just to keep the noise to an acceptable level. Cheers Paul.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I understand there are different types and makes of pump available. Maybe some make more noise than others? What pump have you got on your Morris?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I have one original pump that makes a noise like a sledgehammer whilst others are just a gentle clicking. I ASSUME the new diaphragm is clouting the alloy chamber at the end of the stroke. I keep a spare with that car, just in case. Never had to use it in 2 years of ownership.
Cardiff, UK
Time traveller
Minor Friendly

Post by Time traveller »

Hi, I stripped the fuel pump down and cleaned it, put it back and checked the output, all well there. Was still knocking which is as one or two have said normal so had to accept this. I then thought of putting small anti vibration mounts between the pump and it’s fixing. Bingo quiet in the car and everything running normal. The mounts were only £5 inc postage well worth it. Thanks to all who gave me a response, it is great to have such a fountain of knowledge at the click of a button. Happy miles, Paul.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I find the tick of the fuel pump quite comforting.
It usually means Im still going to get there :D
Where angels fear to tread
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

And for those who employ a hidden switch to disable the pump, the absence of ticking is reminder that you're going to stall after 200 yards! Though a buzzer to alert you of the disabled status gives a more positive warning of this potentially dangerous mode.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Ours is quiet until you start to get low on fuel and it starts to drag in air around corners or on braking, it's proved a usefull reminder on a couple of occasions.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

mike1864 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:32 pm And for those who employ a hidden switch to disable the pump, the absence of ticking is reminder that you're going to stall after 200 yards!
Yes, but not enough to alert me on more than one occasion! :oops:
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

moggiethouable wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:45 am I find the tick of the fuel pump quite comforting.
It usually means Im still going to get there :D
me too :D :D
Morris Minors..... such fun :D