Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Recommend me a welder!!

Post by parahandy 15 »

I am having to do a lot,no a helluva lot ,of cutting out and welding in new bits on the bodywork on my traveller.
My mig is on its last legs, not feeding properly,difficult to adjust speed and power etc.
It is 28 years old, so really does not owe me anything.(it's a Sip 130 )
I have decided to treat myself to something a bit more up to date, possibly a TIG? ,but I don't know enough about them .
Are TIGs easier to work on thin panels, especially old thin panels? How does using one differ from a mig?
I am willing to spend a bit to have the right kit, so I would welcome any advice and suggestions.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Recommend me a welder!!

Post by Murrayminor »

Nip across to the mig welding forum, lots of great advice and recommendations.
Tig is supposed to be good but difficult to master, I opted for mig which I think is more user friendly.

My own welder is a Clarke 135 te turbo and to be honest it welds fine for bodywork, the only let down is the clown weilding the torch.
I upgraded to a proper regulator and large bottle which I get refilled at my local motor factors.
The gas I use is Hobbyweld5.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

I have a big bottle ,regulator and flow meter ,thank goodness as I am going through gas at an alarming rate.
Would a modern MIG be any better in use, or will it always depend on the clown holding the torch?
Reason I ask is that sometimes the weld goes on perfectly, other times it is a shambles. I always clean down to bright metal,but it is a bit hit or miss sometimes.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Modern inverter MIGs are impressive bits of kit...

Im still using a Cebora 130A one, modified to accept a eurotorch….
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Modern inverter MIGs are impressive bits of kit...

Im still using a Cebora 130A one, modified to accept a eurotorch….
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Please expand on this eurotorch business, how does it differ from the normal one ? Why does it differ ? and what makes it better or worse ?

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

les wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:19 pm Please expand on this eurotorch business, how does it differ from the normal one ? Why does it differ ? and what makes it better or worse ?
The eurotorch has a longer torch with a swivel head, so instead of having to twist the cable the head twists making access easier.
There are conversions available but the sst requires rewiring to suit, I'm not that confident in my electrical ability to carry out the conversion, so I soldier on with mine as it is.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

parahandy 15 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:37 pm I have a big bottle ,regulator and flow meter ,thank goodness as I am going through gas at an alarming rate.
Would a modern MIG be any better in use, or will it always depend on the clown holding the torch?
Reason I ask is that sometimes the weld goes on perfectly, other times it is a shambles. I always clean down to bright metal,but it is a bit hit or miss sometimes.
I turned my gas right down, my regulator has a tig setting so I set my mig just above the tig and it seems to be OK.
Another issue is rust within the panel, it can cause the welds to either stand proud or blow back or through.

I also find I change the settings on each panel.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks Murrayminor, that clarifies things, I don’t see any major advantages, so like you, I’ll pass on that one. Especially as I’m not likely to be doing any more welding, hopefully !