Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jimmy167
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Uprated 1098 engine

Post by jimmy167 »

Charles Ware advertises an uprated 1098 engine ,advising a different carb ,manifold and exhaust ,plus it could be matched to a 5 speed gearbox .Does anyone have experience of this uprated engine ?
The other option is their 1275cc engine ,but if the former compared power wise I would prefer to stay with the 1098 .
The car is a well sorted 1970 traveller that had a full rebuild 2+ years ago .
Her standard engine and gearbox are good ,but I want a better cruising/overtaking ability .
Your comments are welcome .
Jimmyw
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Re: Uprated 1098 engine

Post by Monty-4 »

Whilst buying their package would be the easiest course to take for an upgrade, it's eye-wateringly expensive for the results. If you have any mechanical inclination you could perform the same upgrades to the 1098 (well documented on this forum) for, say, 30% of the listed price on their website.

Therefore my advice is, if you're looking pay the kind of money where you have somebody else do the work, it's better value to go straight to the 1275.

Different differentials (going from 4.22 to 3.9 or 3.72) can be used to reduce revs at cruising speed as a cheaper alternative to changing the gearbox, but you'll lose acceleration.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/46-engin ... in-options

You are really between a rock and a hard place.

The Charles Ware uprated 1098cc engine is in near ready to fit/run and you could use your standard engine additional components at the beginning and up grade over time.
Against that you indicate that your engine appears to be in good condition so you could add the upgrading parts to your own engine with a considerable saving.
Purchasing a S/H 1275cc engine which currently are not cheap (around £600 - £700 plus) and which may require reconditioning may end up costing just as much as the 1275cc engine in the link above.
Personally if your engine is good I would upgrade your engine and have the personal satisfaction of doing so.
But of course it all depends upon having the skills and determination to do so.
There is plenty of knowledge on here and good advice for the taking.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Phil

jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

Thanks for the useful comments ,I do service and maintain my cars ,but an engine and gearbox change without lifting gear etc is a step to far . I'm over 70 can't take my money with me when I pop my clogs so a new engine and gearbox with all the bits will make me happy and the car will be so much better .
My main question is 1098 or 1275 ,and how good is the Charles Ware upgraded 1098 ,ie extra HP.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You do not have to remove the engine to carry out the same upgrades to your 1098cc engine as are fitted to the upgraded Charles Ware 1098cc engine.
The heaviest item will be the cylinder head.
The camshaft can be replaced with the engine in the car, the same with the timing gears.
If money is no object I would purchase and fit the 1275cc with type 9 gearbox.
I would not have the improved crankshaft seal fitted though as in my experience it is not as good as it is made out to be.
One thing to consider with the 1275cc engine - can it be an outright purchase or does a 1275cc engine have to be given in exchange. It looks as if you have to supply a 1275cc engine unit for reconditioning which would be an additional cost.
The power output (bhp)of the 1098cc engine will depend upon the final specification of the build. As the 1275cc engine advertised in the link above is the standard engine for the 1275cc Sprite/Midget engine it will only put out 72 lbf @ 3000 rpm.
The 1098cc engine will only give out a max of 65 lbf @3500 rpm.
After modifying the 1098cc engine I would be expecting the engine to produce around 70 lbf @ 3000 rpm but as there is no substitute for cubic inches the 1275cc engine will produce more torque/pulling power.
Phil

jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

Thank you Phil , good advise and food for thought .I will wait until the country goes into a more normal mode and then speak to the team at CW . Good point about the need to supply a 1275 engine I had assumed my 1098 would do against the 1275 .
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

1275cc engines are worth considerably more than a 1098cc. The exception being a 1098cc with the engine number prefix of 10CC.
1098cc engines with a 10CC prefix were the basis for a BMC 'Formula Junior' engine and which have much better components than the other 1098cc engines.
In the main 1098cc engines are still two a penny but 1275cc engines are now getting rare and are well sought after especially the 1275cc Midget/Sprite engine which raises their value.
Phil

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I broadly agree with Phil - that if your own 1098cc engine is in good order, you could carry out some modifications to that for much less money than the purchase cost of an upgraded one. If you really want to spend a large sum of money, a 1275cc Midget engine would be a much better basis.
The 10CC prefix 1098cc engine was fitted for a short period to the MG Midget and Austin Healey Sprite prior to the fitment of the 1275cc engine at the end of 1966. They are a relatively scarce engine now but a worthwhile upgrade over the standard Morris Minor 1098 unit if you come across one. They have nothing to do with Formula Junior development though. Formula Junior using BMC "A" Series engines started in the late 1950s and was all over by 1963 - at least 2 years prior to introduction of the 10CC engine :wink:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Quite so. The 10CC engine used in the Sprite and Midget was possibly developed from experience gained from Formula Junior Racing NOT the other way around as you suggested earlier. Formula Junior racing ended around 1963, Long before the introduction of the production 10CC engine. I am well aware that, many years later, a historic formula was also created to run cars in historic events.

The original "A" Series engines used in Formula Junior were specially built - just 12 initially - for John Cooper by Eddie Meyer at the Morris Engines plant in Coventry. This was around 1958. It was these engines that later formed the basis of the first Mini Cooper "S" engine of the same 1071cc capacity. The later 1098cc 10CC engine had nothing to do with Formula Junior which was extinct by then.
Rolomorris

Post by Rolomorris »

Have sent PM
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

There is one substitute for cubic inches, forced induction, I have seen supercharger kits for minis, not sure if there is something off the shelf for a minor though.