Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Electric Cars

Post by myoldjalopy »

Murrayminor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 am
myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 am Gov now announce the banning of all new petrol and diesel cars by 2030, yes, 10 years time! Following this, it is likely that they will then eventually want to phase out petrol/diesel itself so will be impossible to drive the older vehicles. Of course, an electric Minor has already been produced but won't have the same character (e.g. the exhaust sound - I suppose you could fit an audio chip or something to reproduce that, but still not the same. And electric vehicles not so friendly for home-mechanics either?).
Anyway, my main point is that I read on the BBC website a post from someone saying:
"The issue will be getting the petrol as I am sure they will ban that, my Moggy Minor will run on parafin or methalated spirit, probably also vodka, basically almost anything that burns."
My question - how easy would that be and what modifications would be needed (and imagine how expensive it would be to run yor car on vodka! :o )posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=661273#
Well have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVugE5ZLkdQ
Great news! My moggie will run faster with vodka in the tank! Time for a trip to Russia! :lol:
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

We'll just have to start making moonshine see you down copperhead road!
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Most older diesels would run vegetable oil of some sort. The Mercedes with separate fuel pumps work really well, Peugeot engines with Bosch fuel pumps worked but Lucas pumps failed.

Not a solution to petrol alternatives but something.

Actually, perhaps an LPG conversion would be the answer. While LPG might go the way of petrol, it's still likely to be used for some time yet for heating - so available. As long as the correct duty was paid, can't see the issue.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Hydrogen fuel cells seem to have gone quiet. In a past life I worked for BOC and, among, other things, ran a high purity hydrogen plant - the amount of energy used to produce the hydrogen was huge as the feedstock was natural gas. There's an experimental H2 plant over in Deeside that uses the gases given off by heating plastic bottles as a feedstock, now if this process can be developed successfully there would be a potentially cheap and clean source of H2 available and potentially make fuel cells a viable proposition.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

How much energy is used in making a plastic bottle?
Whilst it may be waste when it gets to the plant it has consumed some energy in its making and transportation.
The problem with all of the matters relating to electric cars/vehicles is that you do not get something for nothing. There is always a price to pay. :(
Even wind turbines consume energy in their production and installation.
Phil

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

You can make hydrogen by splitting water using electricity from a solar panel, not paritcularly efficient in the UK but as the energy is zero co2 from the co2 point of view that doesen't matter. obviously there is still energy needed to make the panel and storage for the gas produced though.

Running an ic engine on h2 usually results in at least a 50% power / torque reduction not sure that would work in a minor unless we all fit v8's.
It works well in a gas turbine though, anyone up for a jet powered minor?