Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorganP01
MMOC Member: Yes

Minor history

Post by MorganP01 »

Hello all,

I'm trying to find some history on my 1956 Morris minor splitscreen in bmc green and wondered if anyone can help as I've hit a dead end.

I bought it on September 1st 2020 and I'm currently restoring it. Prior to this it was sat in a barn in bedale, North yorkshire. As far as I have found it was there from 1973 until 2018 and is not on any records. The original reg was XRO 66 (still got original reg but not able to use) but was re-registered to be able to sell just before I bought it.

Any help tracking down previous owners or where it has spent its life before being parked would be greatly appreciated!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Minor history

Post by geoberni »

You say 'Not on any records', so presumably you've applied to DVLA on a V888 and they have nothing archived?
You might try local authority archives.
Some of the County Registration records were retained in local council archives if the vehicle was already off register when DVLA took over.
Basil the 1955 series II

MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

Hello,

From a quick search it looks like XRO 66 is a Hertfordshire registration. According to their website, Hertfordshire County Council have most of the vehicle licence records for Hertfordshire dating from 1903 to 1977. Their Document Reference: MT108 covers registrations XRO 1-999.
So you should be able to find out the date of original registration and possibly the first owner. Although quite often the first owner was recorded as the motor dealership. May be worth a try if you haven't gone down that route already.

Hope it helps & good luck with the restoration.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

From checking the relevant Glass's guide, XRO was issued in Hertfordshire for a very short time, only between July and August 1956.