By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philipkearney
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Morris service voucher/passport to service booklet

Post by philipkearney »

<t>Hi folks<br/>
<br/>
I remember a thread on here a few months ago now considering the Morris handbooks provided with each new car and the appropriate AKD number for each year. <br/>
<br/>
My thoughts have now turned to the service books and passport to service books that came with each new vehicle. A quick check on eBay shows some older Morris service vouchers, later BMC passport to service books and a bigger number of the later BL service books. <br/>
<br/>
So, to the details...do folks have any ideas when Morris vehicles would stop being provided with Morris service vouchers and instead be supplied with the BMC passport to service booklet and when these were superseded by the BL passport to service booklet ? I see all of these also all had AKD numbers. Do the numbers relate to a specific year ? Were these changed and issued annually also ? <br/>
<br/>
I have an old Morris service book dated 1957 - long after BMC was formed, so I'm unsure when these were phased out and replaced with BMC versions. It would be nice to have the correct books to go with my cars but I need to work out what style of vouchers were issued in what years.<br/>
<br/>
Over to all you good people for your thoughts.<br/>
<br/>
Best wishes<br/>
<br/>
Philip</t>
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Morris service voucher/passport to service booklet

Post by geoberni »

More to the point, I'm fascinated as to why your post has got HTML code throughout.... :-?

If it's a problem at your end or this ruddy forum misbehaving yet again....
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It is probable that after each merger/takeover the stocks of the old books would be used up as far as possible before the rollout of the new design. Regardless of the design of book the vouchers would still be valid as long as they were in date. Many of these books are printed with a date code, this is usually in the back pages and is part of a long letter/number code and the date takes the form of something like 5/62 in the code, meaning May 1962. So you could reasonably date the booklets and compare the dates to the various changes of ownership the Morris name went through.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Good question Geoberni. It's not done that before. In some ways, I think I'd much prefer it was an issue at my end rather than any more issues with the forum.....

Thanks jowettjavelin, that would certainly make sense. I'd imagine there would be huge print runs of booklets at one time and no doubt these would be used until they ran out. I have a random collection of old documents so I'll check the dates and get an idea of whether dates were monthly or annually. I would guess that garages would just use whatever books they had in stock when selling a car rather than worry too much about the dates.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Just to clarify something about the dating. The date code could have been the same for years - it only changed when the document was amended, so it's kind of like an issue number. The vouchers would have been validated by the authorised dealer and have nothing to do with the aforementioned date codes.