blimey!

Post by moggiethouable »

Where angels fear to tread
viewsonic1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: blimey!

Post by viewsonic1 »

They're asking silly money. It'll take years to get that sort of price for a Trafalgar Blue four door.
Bigrob
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bigrob »

You're right. Blimey
1968 Trafalgar Blue 2 door- Pig
1970 Met Police 2 door- Panda
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

''Good luck with that one'' is all I can say!

I'm glad it's going to be ''fully cleaned, presented and valeted'' before sale. For that sort of money, I'd want it delivering in a solid gold carriage.......and I'd want to keep the carriage! :D

The one picture of the upholstery suggests that's that the best I've ever seen either. Certainly not a patch on mine.

Blimey indeed!
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Wow. Fools and their money are easily parted.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I recall Roy stating years back, it can only help raise the value of the cars. A very valid point, but I wonder if it also puts people off owning a Minor ? If they glance at adds like this and decide its too expensive a hobby for them.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I think that is a real risk. Moggies were always seen as cheap starter classics or a good choice for those with a modest budget. The price reflected the everyman nature of the car. If someone looks at that advert and decides £20k is the going rate for a standard four saloon (albeit a very nice one) then I suspect they may start to look at much cheaper 70's and 80's cars instead. A higher price could also make thefts more of a possibility.

Rising values are not always a good thing.
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

what do people think is the true price of it
something is only worth what someone will pay for it
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

too good to use on the road, that puts it in the same category as my bare shell in the garage, neither will be on the road this year and I've saved over £20k into the bargain.

You have to wonder who will buy it at that price, will an investor buy it to make money? doubtful as it is at the top of its price now, and will hover around there for a while yet.
Will a classic car lover buy it? doubtful unless they had one when they were younger or they have very deep pockets.

Sadly that car is destined to be in a garage for the remainder of its life, towed to a show and back, maybe a few dry miles a year to keep in MOT'd.

I would rather have a well used vehicle that I can jump in and shoot off for the day and not worry about it losing value every mile.

Each to their own I suppose.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Do not forget that there are a significant number of very rich people to whom money is no object and who might buy it on a whim without it denting their bank balance...... :-?
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Also realise that it is a very unique car since it's not a Morris Minor 1000 (as one would expect from the looks of the car) but is in fact a Morris Minor Eight Saloon.

This means that in 1968 somebody paid the factory not only to create a new Eight Saloon, but then to re-style it to look in every way like a normal 60's Minor 1000.

And since it's being listed by Charles Ware they'd definitely know what Make and Model they're selling ! :P
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Not even original -- modern seatbelts -- and:
further upgrades could be added.
Further? So what else has been altered / modified?
I'm not knocking that as such, goodness knows I modify mine to suit (alternators etc) but for that price (not that I'd pay it in a month of Sundays!) I'd be expecting a concourse standard original untouched car......
Some people really do live on another planet......
Just my opinion of course.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

I remember that car going back to 2006 at the national rally. It was a truly amazing concours car then and it was owed by the late Len Carter. I spoke to him a few times, he was a lovely man. He saved it from the scrapyard when he retired and restored it to master concourse standard

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Also realise that it is a very unique car since it's not a Morris Minor 1000 (as one would expect from the looks of the car) but is in fact a Morris Minor Eight Saloon.
Yes, I noticed that. You'd think that they would get something as basic as the make/model etc. correct.

Funnily enough, it didn't register with me on first look at the advert, that is was for sale by CW. I was thinking it must have been advertised by a random trader trying to 'fly a kite' with their valuation. As it's on the market, via CW, it's reasonable to assume they must think they can sell it for that sort of money.

To quote that increasingly familiar phrase or saying ''I'm out''. :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I remember that car going back to 2006 at the national rally. It was a truly amazing concours car then and it was owed by the late Len Carter. I spoke to him a few times, he was a lovely man. He saved it from the scrapyard when he retired and restored it to master concourse standard
Fair enough and respect to the chap for doing it, however no one in their right minds is going to pay that. No matter how much they've got in the bank.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

They will get near the asking price, as they have a big following abroad, and with wealthy people in the UK. It may take time but maybe £20K will clinch it!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Madness!! :roll:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree it seems expensive but I suppose it reflects the fact that many Minor owners will spend £20,000 or more having a Minor restored professionally and still not get to the standard of that car. As already pointed out, the car is the late Len Carter's Master Class winning concours car. Judged as being "the very best of all" at many concours events over many years. The car was always immaculately kept and driven to every National Rally for many years. A truly exceptional car. I recall it being discussed on these very pages a few years ago when Len was selling it (he was asking half the current price) and people who had never seen it were still criticising it and suggesting it was overpriced.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Where can one find the concours judging criteria?
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

This was my post, perhaps I was in a state of shock, but I didn't realise it was a Charles Ware car either.
Maybe its a halo car, priced high to make the others look cheap, not that Charles Ware Ltd has ever knowingly undersold :wink: