Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Value of our Minors

Post by pgp001 »

Does anyone believe our Minors are going to continue to appreciate in value ?

I can see them starting to decline with all the talk of electric cars and the demise of petrol, we may all be left with a museum piece that nobody wants in a few (not many) years time.
It alright being told that there will be petrol around for many years to come, but once the EV's take off in a big way the demand for petrol will dry up, so the supply chain will start to disappear.
We may have to drive a long way just to find a petrol station before too long, then when you find one how much will they be charging for the fuel ?
Once the government loses the tax we pay on petrol, I wonder what will happen to the price of the electricity we use for our EV's ?

Any other views on this subject, because from where I am sitting things dont look very promising.

Phil P
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: Value of our Minors

Post by Sleeper »

Phil

" Once the government loses the tax we pay on petrol, I wonder what will happen to the price of the electricity we use for our EV's ? "

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch , why do you think they're giving away smart meters ,,,,so they can apply whatever tariffs they want , whenever they want .

John ;-)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It is up to people to protest and tell the government what they want. There is a lot of defeatist talk around and people are already accepting massive curtailment of civil liberties.
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

Petrol will still be commonplace in 30 years time, I am certain of that.
will.broad
Minor Friendly

Post by will.broad »

I'm a long distance courier with timed deliveries. I cover 500 miles a day. there is NO WAY I could do that with a Electric van. If I need fuel then I need to fill up and be on the road straight away. I just can't see how they are going to do away with petrol or diesel. Same with HGV lorries I can't see it happening unless they get a decent millage out of a battery and a recharge in 10 minutes.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Your 10 minute charge is not far off being a reality according to this.
https://www.whatcar.com/news/new-super- ... tes/n22584

Your 500 mile range is also on the horizon.
https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/cybertruck

And if you need a bit more load capacity.
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/semi

Once this lot are commonplace, you can forget petrol I reckon.

Phil
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I think a possible future route for classic cars would be relatively cheap diy electric conversion kits. Having seen ‘Vintage Voltage’ with it’s very expensive bespoke conversions the major difficulty seems to be finding room for all the batteries when the customer expects high performance and long range.

For a car like the Minor, if the owner is happy with modest performance and range it should be possible to provide a kit of motor, gearbox adapter plate, control module, charger and batteries. This is all current technology and the components might already be available mass produced. Once arranged to suit the A series motor it could be used in all the many classics that use this engine. With a range of shaft adapters and mounting brackets a versatile kit could be tailored for quite a variety of classics.

Petrol probably won’t disappear but it could become hard to find and expensive as filling stations as we know them now are viable only with high sales volumes.

Obsolete transport has huge historic and nostalgic appeal but isn’t practically usable. I’m thinking here of horses, canal boats and steam locomotives.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Not sure I agree about Steam Locomotives, it would be great to see them back on the main line, I'm sure they could pull their weight and provide an acceptable service.
It's the manpower and maintenance costs that the railway companies of today would baulk at with regard to steam power.
Unfortunately, even if they could be persuaded to accept them, the extremists in the green lobbies would be up in arms and never allow it........
Look at their attitudes to open fires / log burners and it's not as if everybody has one of those these days.
(I'd love to tell them where they can stick their particulates......)

people are already accepting massive curtailment of civil liberties.

If we are talking about the COVID situation here, then those in parliament that might like to curtail our civil liberties long after it is over have social media / greater public awareness to contend with.
If they try to hold onto certain powers and control our freedoms post COVID, then I think they will be in for a big unpleasant shock......
We are watching......

Regarding conversions, anyone willing to put an electric motor in their classic in the future (with ever improving technology / battery longevity) is going to expect to be able to cover good distances and have improved performance, for an acceptable price.
(Why would a Morris Minor owner expect / accept less??)
And not for the extortionate prices Vintage Voltage charges, IMHO.
At present it is a niche market but once it becomes more commonplace then people are going to expect decent DIY kits, as well as garage fitting prices to come down, if they want our custom......

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I for one just don't get why you would want to convert a Minor to electric power.
The whole charm of the car would be lost, you may as well just buy a modern car.

Phil P
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I imagine that with the high cost of EVs, by 2030 the price of second hand petrol cars will hold their value if not increase.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

pgp001 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:43 pm I for one just don't get why you would want to convert a Minor to electric power.
The whole charm of the car would be lost, you may as well just buy a modern car.

Phil P
You may not fancy an electric Minor but if petrol ceases to be readily available you may need an electric car for transport with your petrol Minor simply a museum piece in the garage.

And Jagnut, much as I share your liking for steam locomotives I think we have to accept that they cannot provide mainstream modern transport. Coal is not only dirty as a fuel, external combustion is terribly inefficient and laborious. The railways are working on driverless trains, still less employing an extra crewman to shovel coal. I wouldn’t expect coal to bring millions of daily commuters into cities ever again.

I can remember the last London smog from 1960, coal is filthy stuff and I don’t think you have to be a ‘greenie extremist’ not to want to see that again.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Unfortunately the steam preservation world is having great problems obtaining coal now, I know it will never be used commercially again but it seems that some preserved railway lines may disappear due to the high running costs of using imported coal.
The traction engine owners are also affected as they will have no economic source of fuel either.

I think we may need to think about locking fuel caps on the Minors before long if petrol becomes harder to come by.

Phil P
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

"Look at their attitudes to open fires / log burners and it's not as if everybody has one of those these days."
Mike, I'm totally with you on that. Banning house coal is just a tokenistic, easy, political gesture which will have such a minimum impact (due to the minority who have coal fires regularly) that it is pointless and seems unnecessarily vindictive.
We've had the discussion about electric Minors before, and I agree with Phil that it wouldn't be the same. But, I suppose, better an electric Minor than a museum piece in the garage that you can't drive - but what about a driverless Minor?? :-?
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

ianmack wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:45 pm but if petrol ceases to be readily available you may need an electric car for transport with your petrol Minor simply a museum piece in the garage.
Even if petrol did cease to become readily available, I wonder what would happen to other petroleum based products such as this Zippo Lighter Fluid. video as an alternative fuel source :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Unfortunately the steam preservation world is having great problems obtaining coal now, I know it will never be used commercially again but it seems that some preserved railway lines may disappear due to the high running costs of using imported coal.
The traction engine owners are also affected as they will have no economic source of fuel either.
Depressingly, you may be right, bearing in mind that additionally allot of Steam Preservation groups run Deltics and other diesels, as alternative preserved loco's, to get the public in / help move their carriages and they will have nothing to run on their lines, so those out to score cheap political points have stuffed them and us both ways!!
I see no good in it!
Preserved railways should be exempt / should get lottery grants to help them!
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
will.broad
Minor Friendly

Post by will.broad »

Think I will have to fit a gas bag on the roof on the morris.

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/11 ... icles.html
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I've often wondered just how successful those war time gas conversions actually were. I suppose needs must and anything was worth a try, but they always struck me as unwieldy and probably a bit risky !
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

philipkearney wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:48 pm I've often wondered just how successful those war time gas conversions actually were. I suppose needs must and anything was worth a try, but they always struck me as unwieldy and probably a bit risky !
A short clip....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZcK2DuDX5M
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

......Unfortunately, I don't think my garage roof is quite high enough.........so I'll stick to petrol for the time being, or at least as long as I can. At my age, i think there'll be enough petrol to see me out. :cry:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

A short clip....
Brilliant :D :lol: