Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
annsteel
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Boot Rubbers

Post by annsteel »

Hello,

I have a 66 Minor convertible so late model. The car had a rubber fixed to the car frame over the welds which worked fine with the old boot lid. At the time I had a fibreglass lid. When the boot lid was changed for metal one the rubber was removed and a new rubber stuck to the underside of the lid which for this year 1966 was correct spec?
Does anybody have any thoughts? Presumably it is one rubber or the other only?
Thanks,
Ann
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Boot Rubbers

Post by ManyMinors »

I think the manufacturers chose to fit the rubber to the bootlid during the late 1950s. What the reason was I don't know. Some owners prefer the earlier method of having a rubber fitted to the body lip instead. My own car is a 1950s car and has this arrangement. The only disadvantage I can think of is that sometimes the rubber gets detached when removing something large from the boot. It seems to keep the water out though which is the main purpose, so I have never felt that the later design would be an improvement.

As you say, your car would originally have had the later arrangement of the rubber stuck to the lid itself. I cannot say which works the best but you would not be able to close the bootlid if you fitted both rubbers I feel?

It is probably harder to get the rubber to stick to fibreglass which perhaps is the reason for your car having the earlier rubber at some time.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

With our collective experience is there an opinion on whether one causes more rust on the boot lid. The earlier design would suggest it would hold less water where the later might.
annsteel
Minor Friendly

Post by annsteel »

Thank you for your helpful replies. I had heard the rubber on the car over the welds might be better re the water and rust. i will see what others think. Ann
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

jaekl wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:49 pm With our collective experience is there an opinion on whether one causes more rust on the boot lid. The earlier design would suggest it would hold less water where the later might.
from the boot lid I have dismantled I would say it has no effect, the rust is in between the skin and the frame where there is no paint from the factory.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

We don't have much of a problem with rusting boot lids over here. Just a row of holes along the bottom edge. Mostly because few lasted that long in regular use. The remaining have inside storage now. I see your point that there is a lack of protection behind the inner frame. Is the moisture that promotes the rust coming in from above or through the pinch weld along the edge with the rust growing above the pinch weld?
annsteel
Minor Friendly

Post by annsteel »

Hello thanks again.
The boot lid I have is a good refurbished one so not rusty at present, painted in side and out. Looking forward does the rubber on the car prevent moisture and rust better than the rubber stuck under the lid? The rubber I had before was on the car but I lost it when the new one was put on. I just prefer the rubber on the car as it hides the seems of the body better. Does anyone agree? Thanks.
Ann
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I think the one on the car works better in terms of keeping the boot dry, it effectively raises the height of the drain channel lip which in it's self is a big step forward to keeping water out regardless of how well it seals to the bootlid.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Agreed, I have had both types and prefer the earlier one which pushes over the lip of the aperture.
The one stuck to the boot lid did reveal a thin layer of rust when removed.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MorrisJohn »

I recently switched from the later type seal to the earlier type and have also found it’s better at keeping water out.

The only snag has been the top right corner now catches on the boot lid when it comes down. Which has bent the rubber in that area out of shape :-?
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com