Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chill59
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Which seat base?

Post by Chill59 »

Can anyone tell me which is the best product for renewing seat bases.
Are the original straps the best option or does the rubber diaphram alternative provide as good a solution at a lower cost?
I'm not too bothered about absolute authentisity, just the best cost/performance answer. TIA Chris
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 10.04.32.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 10.04.32.jpg (848.62 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Which seat base?

Post by philthehill »

My opinion for what it is worth is that the rubber diaphragm is the best option. No sagging between the straps and a fully supported bum. :D

burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

All met Morris Minor Pandas were fitted with the rubber diaphragm to take account of large bums. I never knew of any failures and they did take a lot of punishment.
[img]jpg[/img]
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

burnham28 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:19 am All met Morris Minor Pandas were fitted with the rubber diaphragm to take account of large bums. I never knew of any failures and they did take a lot of punishment.
Really? My experience is the opposite . The steel insert wire rips out after very little use and then you have to discard it. The straps have lasted longer. I have reverted to using the straps and the diaphragm. Before anyone asks, I do only weigh about 82kg.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The original rubber diaphragm fitted to the Police Panda cars (as well as Minis) were of much better quality than those available now.
The new diaphragms do not last as long. Sadly, the rubber straps don't seem to last as long as original ones either, so it is hard to know which is best! The straps have become very expensive (although you'll still need them for the backrest) so the diaphragm might be worth a try. Neither are difficult to change. Personally, I have found that changing the actual base cushion itself makes the biggest difference and is well worth doing at the same time.
Chill59
Minor Friendly

Post by Chill59 »

Thanks for all advice.
ManyMinors, ...can you change the base cushion without taking the covers off?
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

From memory, no, you need to remove the cover. You can replace the straps or diaphragm from underneath and with no need to remove the cover. To replace the foam base, you will need to remove the base cover. Removal is relatively easy, just remove the metal clips holding the cover on. Refitting it is in theory, the reverse, but you need to stretch it tightly and make sure it sits on the foam base well.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You will make a much better job by removing the cover in order to replace the base cushion. As Philip has already said, it is not a particularly difficult job. Also, if the straps have failed in the base they are probably no better in the backrest and ideally you should replace them as well. Most Morris Minor owners would be amazed at the difference you can make to comfort when a standard Minor 1000 seat has new straps and cushions! Doing the whole job transformed my car :wink:
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

Yes really ! My Panda still has the original rubber diaphragms on the front seats. I know they are the original ones as I drove this car brand new out of Surbiton police station in April 1968 as a serving police officer. They were probably made of better material in those days.
[img]jpg[/img]
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I'd completely agree with Manyminors. Rebuilding the seat will totally transform the car. I put it off for years, suffering with sagging and broken straps and using extra cushions to sit on. I finally grasped the nettle and spent a couple of hours rebuilding the seat. I'd forgotten how comfortable original seats could be. Well worth doing.