Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 2 cyl A Series engine

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I have often wondered about overdrive on a Minor and if anyone ever fitted it. Laycock de Normanville did make a unit for engines under 1500cc but as far as I know a conversion was never offered for a Minor. It would only have to work on top gear.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Wonderful :D

Tiddly poo......................... 8)

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am I have often wondered about overdrive on a Minor and if anyone ever fitted it. Laycock de Normanville did make a unit for engines under 1500cc but as far as I know a conversion was never offered for a Minor. It would only have to work on top gear.
Speaking of which, this is on eBay near me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353431945182

Minus the interesting gearbox and OD by the looks of it, so what is the engine?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Ford 105E pre cross flow 997cc engine.

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

:lol: you guys are encyclopedias.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

That eBay listing unfortunately isn't very clear - it definitely shows the information plaque but not the overdrive unit. As the person has listings for other car parts it is probably for a different car. It's a shame they don't show what the plaque is attached to.
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Edward1949 »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am I have often wondered about overdrive on a Minor and if anyone ever fitted it. Laycock de Normanville did make a unit for engines under 1500cc but as far as I know a conversion was never offered for a Minor. It would only have to work on top gear.
As a matter of interest overdrive was an option on the Standard Eight (803cc) and Ten (948cc) saloons from 1957. Incidentally if those cubic capacities look strangely familiar it's pure coincidence- nothing to do with the A series.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

After watching the five parts, I noticed that the block flares out a lot towards the sump. Obviously designed to mate with the FWD gearbox. BMC did a whole lot more than just shortening the block. What was the driving force to put the manifold on the other side? Was there no room for the normal cross block distributor drive? The right side is narrower such that the water pump extended past the block and needed a protrusion on the block for the water flow. There was no 3D modeling for this project. I wonder where the dynamo was placed. It appears the starter was lower that the usual place based on the picture in the article. Changing that oil filter is at a higher level of frustration that the typical vertical ones. The starter might have been right below it. Had it not been for the picture in the article, I would wonder if they flipped the engine around and ran it backwards like Honda did for many years. As is, the exhaust had to run down under the lump or around the clutch. Perhaps they planned on a recess in the sump to minimize the height of the power unit. It was interesting how Fiat decided to balance the combustion and used a larger counter weight. (with a two bearing crank) After seeing the BMC version run, rather smoothly, a 180° crank probably was have been the better approach. The Fiat counter weight may only be fully effective in a narrow rpm range and throttle opening. I guess Ivan's block and head was simply an unused set of castings and that is is why there was no crank or camshaft. Loved to be able to witness the design review meeting and at what point was simply de-stroking the 948 idea presented. Was it the solution or was it some wise gu'sy early, silly suggestion? The short stroke open a world of competition. Was Issigonis back in house at this time? Would he had suggested going two stroke as he thought for the Minor.
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

They obviously had something in mind.

On a different note the much mentioned original Mosquito/Minor ‘Issigonis’ engine in 800 and 1100cc versions - anyone have any photos or tech specs on this?
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Part 6
https://youtu.be/qs0XL_8vB1o
Watch it to the end, he has bought the two cylinder 2 Stroke prototype engine.
He also shows off his very original 59 mini featuring the eBay £800 glass washer bottle that I think was mentioned on this forum.

Regards John
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Watching this I was struck by the sheer weight and bulk of the thing. The a series motor is pretty solidly built with chunky castings and heavy for it’s size. Cut in half we’re looking at an engine of about 400cc and I’d guess maybe 12bhp.

I think perhaps they should have consulted a motorcycle designer.