Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ptanner2611
MMOC Member: No

Pick UP Cab Versus Traveler Cab Size

Post by ptanner2611 »

Hi all ,

I am building a pick up special and was wondering if anyone knew what is the length difference between the Pick / Van Cab and the traveler Cab. I am assuming the Traveler Cab will be longer than the original Pick up Van cab but by how much ?

Appreciate any assistance

Thanks,

Paul
jaekl
Minor Addict

Re: Pick UP Cab Versus Traveler Cab Size

Post by jaekl »

The doors are six inches different in length. Then whatever the difference is in the B posts which isn't much.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

jaekl wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 am The doors are six inches different in length. Then whatever the difference is in the B posts which isn't much.
Que.jpg
Que.jpg (4.95 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
I know even less about Pickups than I do other Minors :wink: ....but surely all 2 door models are the same size doors?
Every day's a learning day.....
Basil the 1955 series II

MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

geoberni wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:56 am I know even less about Pickups than I do other Minors :wink: ....but surely all 2 door models are the same size doors?
Every day's a learning day.....
No requirement for rear seat access with a van or pickup, so they make use of the shorter 4-door front doors. Probably also a nice cost saving measure to make the commercials cheaper to produce 8)
I wonder if anyone has ever built a 4-door traveller special?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks.
I even tried to look it up on the Parts Manual, but couldn't find 'Van' listed. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

There are several commercials built on Traveller front ends about - Andrew Salaman's red van springs to mind, a vehicle I remember from maybe 20 years ago now - to take advantage of the longer front doors. I've driven the club van on numerous occasions and always hated the doors simply because you can't get your arm on the window and half your head is behind the B post when sat in the seat, but I've always hankered after a pickup constructed on a Traveller cab. Pickups are more compromised if you like than vans, because in a van at least you can fit the seat a little more into the loadspace to give more room, but of course you can't do that in a pickup because the cab back gets in the way!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

Hi ptanner2611,
We have both a 1098 traveller and a 1098 van in our garage and in daily use, what measurement(s) exactly would you like?
Imperial or metric?
ptanner2611

Post by ptanner2611 »

Hi Woodiesenfrance,

Thanks for the offer of measurements . The best dimension would be from the edge of the front wing to the back of the cab flange in mm along the centre of the door height. I suspect its close to 150mm ( per Jaekl Post ) but would appreciate the overall dimension then I can compare with my current pick up .

Thanks to everyone for the comments. As always being part of forum where people have such knowledge is a great help to us with much less knowledgeable.

Thanks ,

Paul
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Sorry, wasn't online yesterday, will find a tape measure and get back to you later
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

ptanner2611, here are the measurements as checked by Chris, my OH, tech adviser to the French club and the hands-on Minor rebuilder here:
Allowing for a 5mm gap between the front wing and the door, and a 5mm gap between the door and the B post, the distance from the rear edge of the wing to the back edge of the B post on our trav is 950mm

If you need any further measurements let us know, or pm us with any questions and a phone number if you'd like Chris to call you.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

There are a few custom built travellers about with a double cab and pickup back.
ptanner2611

Post by ptanner2611 »

Hi ,

Many Thanks for the dimensions .

This is a great help.

Thanks again,

Paul