Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

New Old Stock

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
It never ceases to amaze me how much New Old Stock (NOS) there is out there, especially when you consider how long our cars and those of a similar age have been out of production.
Yet things keep turning up.....
I have been looking for a locking fuel cap for a car I have long hankered after, having spent nearly all of my childhood being ferried around in one. The family car was written off by the next owners, so no chance of finding that, however I have finally managed to get my hands on one that is very close......
It's not a Spitfire by the way, for those with eagle eyes.....(you'd struggle to fit a family in one of those anyway).....
Anyway, here's my latest item of NOS, even the keys were still wrapped....
Best wishes,
Mike.
NOS 1.JPG
NOS 1.JPG (244.94 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
NOS 2.JPG
NOS 2.JPG (252.97 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
NOS 3.JPG
NOS 3.JPG (525.34 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
NOS 4.JPG
NOS 4.JPG (540.39 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: New Old Stock

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Go on, spill. What car was it.

There are loads of BMC and Leyland parts out there because they produced so much, and when they became state owned there was never any need to curb production and storage back. This was not the case for other manufacturers, which is why you see so few of their NOS parts.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Go on, spill. What car was it.
Introducing Hetty, a 1970 Triumph Herald 1200. I drove her back from Llangollen in Wales on Saturday.
Why a Herald 1200, beacuse of my childhood memories and my memories of my late parents, so sentimental reasons, which also dictated that it had to be Wedgewood Blue.
I would have created a new post but, as she's not a Minor, I suspect a few would have criticised me and reminded me that this is not the TSSC messageboard.
Though I have a feeling a few others on here also have Triumphs, so by the same token hopefully my posting this up it won't upset too many.......
Plus I think all positive news is welcome in these present times.
So here's Hetty!
Hetty.JPG
Hetty.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1002 times
1970 Triumph Herald Hetty.jpg
1970 Triumph Herald Hetty.jpg (705.44 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Hetty's interior.JPG
Hetty's interior.JPG (714.42 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
First impressions on the long journey home, she's actually slower than a Minor!
However the turning circle is, I suspect, unbeatable.
She needs some work but as Elsie may is occupying my time at present I will just drive her 'as is' for now.
One thing I do want to do though is swap the downdraft Stromberg for a slightly larger side draft SU and see if that makes things a little better.
First though I need to find a suitable carb adapter to fit it.
Anyway that's enough for here, the technical stuff is for the TSSC site.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I love the way you got a soft focus on the middle photo, just to make it look like an original period image..... :lol: :lol:
Seriously, is that a period photo, as I notice the mirrors are at a different orientation..... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Lovely car- was it purchased from the motor museum in Llangollen ?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I love the way you got a soft focus on the middle photo, just to make it look like an original period image..... :lol: :lol:
:lol: This was one of the images sent me by the couple I bought her from.
Surprisingly the mirrors work really well.

Lovely car- was it purchased from the motor museum in Llangollen ?
Thanks. No, it was a private sale, I put a wanted advert in the TSSC magazine and it just happened to coincide with their decision to part with her.
I didn't know there was a motor museum in Llangollen. Shame I missed it but I doubt it would be open at present anyway.
I do know about the local heritage railway line but that's in trouble financially, a very sad view from a bridge down over the station, shame to see all the period carraiges sat in the station with no-where to go and that having been saved once and survived this long....... :(
Doubtless Tescos (or one of the others) are already eyeing up the site..................just in case............... :roll:
Best wishes,
Mike.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Very nice indeed Mike. If the car has had limited use with its previous owners you might find that performance will noticeably improve once you start using it properly and the engine starts ‘breathing’ again. One thing to be wary of on these is the bottom end doesn’t like sustained high speeds. Good luck with it and hope to hear more about it.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Good luck with it and hope to hear more about it.
Thanks Jowett, I will mention it in passing on here, on occasion.
I better not do more than that on here otherwise someone will tell me off, Hetty being a Triumph and not a Morris. :wink: :lol:
One thing that has been mentioned on the TSSC site is that a 3-63:1 ratio diff has been tried in a Herald and gives more relaxed cruising, so if I can find one that may ease bottom end issues.
It looks like they are like the proverbial 'Hens teeth' though and were possibly an export only option........... :roll:
Best wishes,
Mike.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Lovely Herald I have had a few of those through the years .I had a vitesse which is a lovely car to drive but thirsty and the brakes aren't up to much but wish I still had it :cry:
Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Propshaft »

Lovely car , it's good to spread your affiliations over different marks, I have a lcv, a two door and tr7 . My fathers first( He only had two) new car in 1966 was an olive green herald which l learnt to drive in , in 67 he towed his touring caravan to Spain with four adults in the car. The Germans in particular were amazed when he lifted the bonnet exposing the entire front end
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The Germans in particular were amazed when he lifted the bonnet exposing the entire front end
Yes, along with the impressive turning circle, this is a very useful feature, amazing access. I have seen a clip online where someone even removed the engine and gearbox with the bonnet still in situ.
Best wishes,
Mike.