Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Minor Matters May/June 2021

Post by geoberni »

We seem to get this topic every couple of months, so I thought I'd kick it off this time around....

My magazine arrived this morning...Greater Nottingham postcode
20210507_113124.jpg
20210507_113124.jpg (918.42 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
Basil the 1955 series II

catswhisker
Minor Friendly

Re: Minor Matters May/June 2021

Post by catswhisker »

Whatever floats your boat !!!
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Somewhat frustratingly, mine isn't here. Again!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

Ours isn't here yet, but as today, 8th May, is a public holiday there are no deliveries today.
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Mine turned up today - Essex

Alan
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Arrived in Northern Ireland yesterday, 8th May

Too many Minors so little time.....
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Mine arrived yesterday in the West Midlands.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

What is this obsession with the arrival of the magazine? I’m not telling whether or not mine has arrived! :D

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

les wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:17 pm What is this obsession with the arrival of the magazine? I’m not telling whether or not mine has arrived! :D
Where's my 'blowing raspberry' emoticon when I need it? :lol:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:17 pm What is this obsession with the arrival of the magazine? I’m not telling whether or not mine has arrived! :D
That's kind of where I was coming from.
I was surprised to get mine before the usual round of 'Where's my magazine' started so thought I'd cynically start it going to see what happened. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Yes yes, but did you like the Mull article? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Admin wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:56 am Yes yes, but did you like the Mull article? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever magazine I'm reading I always start by reading the smaller bits and build up to anything over 2 pages.... :wink:

I'm currently questioning the validity of the Vehicle History Conundrum article, since it states that the DVLA position changed in Sept 2017 to providing nothing at all.

I applied in 2018 and in May of that year received the redacted records for my car, as I mentioned on a recent post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21556&hilit=DVLA#p666246

But I'll read the Mull article tonight :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

My July/August edition hasn't arrived yet. Should I be worried?

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

KeithL wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:42 am My July/August edition hasn't arrived yet. Should I be worried?
Just stay calm, .... if you have a brown paper bag available, then place it over your head and breath gently..... :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

The Mull article was excellent, very envious, thanks.
Regards Win
South Yorkshire
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

Our magazine finally arrived today, just one day in advance of the 12th May deadline to contact Admin if one wishes to particpate in the MMOC AGM on 19th May.
If you are an MMOC member, do attend the AGM, it's your chance to see who's who 'at the top' and to have your democratic say in the running of the Club - and you don't even have to leave home to be there.
No perching on a stool in the back of a marquee on a damp or sweltering rally field.
Not as much fun though as back in the 1980s at a Midlands hotel when we all put our Saturday night bar tabs on Ray Newell's room number :lol: :lol:
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

geoberni wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:33 am I'm currently questioning the validity of the Vehicle History Conundrum article, since it states that the DVLA position changed in Sept 2017 to providing nothing at all.

I applied in 2018 and in May of that year received the redacted records for my car, as I mentioned on a recent post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21556&hilit=DVLA#p666246
I believe that is the problem the article is trying to highlight. The DVLA sent you the redacted records for your car, not the actual keeper history. So despite requesting a keeper history from DVLA, they haven't actually provided it and you still don't know who the previous keepers were.
Prior to Sep 2017 you would have received those same records, but with details for all the previous keepers showing, right back to the date of first registration at DVLA. If they also had a copy of the old style buff logbook, then you would even have received details for some of the pre-DVLA keepers.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MCYorks wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:31 pm
The DVLA sent you the redacted records for your car, not the actual keeper history.
No need to highlight 'redacted' I know what I wrote.
I also know that the basis of the article is "Since September 2017 DVLA is no longer able to provide the registration history of a vehicle for research purposes in response to a V888 request..."
Which is, in my personal experience, factually incorrect. A falsehood.
That's like a press headline saying 'The Number 36 Bus route is withdrawn', when actually the No 36 is now down to 4 times a day instead of 6.

Nowhere in that article does it mention records still being available, just with personal details redacted.
The records I obtained show me the dates the car moved around the country by Town, they show me the registration changing when someone played the 'Cherished Number' Joker, the time the car then received an Age Related registration, when the engine changed etc.

Do I need to know past owners names and addresses other than the person I brought it from?
What use is that to me?
To what end do I need to chase down an individual who sold it 30 or more years ago?
Would I like it if someone came knocking on the door asking me about a car I sold 20 or 30 years ago?
Would I like it if someone came knocking on my door asking about some person who used to live here and what I knows about them and their car?

What actual purpose does having the owner's personal details serve?
Basil the 1955 series II

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Admin wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:56 am Yes yes, but did you like the Mull article? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, I did, very interesting. Looking forward to part 2.....whenever the July/August issue turns up !
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

geoberni wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:25 am I also know that the basis of the article is "Since September 2017 DVLA is no longer able to provide the registration history of a vehicle for research purposes in response to a V888 request..."
Which is, in my personal experience, factually incorrect. A falsehood.
Having re-read the article, I see the section you’re quoting from is a statement from the FBHVC on the matter. They have simply used the term registration history when referring to previous keeper history. Possibly a tad confusing I'll agree, but one of their newsletters does clarify they were talking about previous keeper history.
The article starts with and appears to be based on the statement "The history of previous keepers of a vehicle has been made available to current keepers, as a right, for almost a century yet the DVLA is now refusing to release this information". To me that is factually correct. I’ve spoken to DVLA and they confirm this to be the case.

I take it from your comments that you don't see any use or purpose in knowing previous keepers details, and don’t like the idea of anyone knocking on your door to enquire about anything :wink:
If you don't see any use in having the previous keepers details or don’t want to respond to a new keeper seeking information about a car you used to own, then that is of course your prerogative.
Other owners and various companies do see some uses for this information. E.g. Checking mileage, provenance, etc. Personally, I once discovered a car had been clocked by contacting the previous keeper on the V5. Strangely enough, the current keeper selling it wasn't open about that fact :(

I’m very lucky that the previous keeper of my Minor researched its history before I bought it. So I know not only where it has travelled around the country over the last 60 years, but also the story behind that journey and the all people who enjoyed owning it. To me that history is priceless because it gives the car its personality and provenance, setting it apart from being just another Morris Minor. Some people would even agree it adds an extra bit of resale value to the car. Although not as much as it would with something like an E-Type!
If other owners wish to know the previous keepers details to prove the provenance of their car, or contact them with a legitimate query, then I see no problem with that, providing it's done so in a sensible and respectful way. The polite way is to send a letter with a return address or contact number. If they’re happy to share any information or memories they can respond, if not the letter goes in the bin, simple.

Given the amount of sensitive personal data, which I'm obliged to supply to various companies and organisations these days. I'm far more concerned about that information being stolen by hackers, than I am about DVLA supplying my name and address to a new keeper. I'd be amazed if someone got in touch to say one of my cars from 20 odd years ago was still going. It would certainly be more interesting than the callers I normally get. Double glazing sales, gutter cleaning services, etc. :wink: