Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

V5 Chassis Number

Post by Nourish »

The Chassis Number on my 1955 V5 starts with FCB11 which would I believe make it a Morris Minor, Convertible, Light Blue, RHD in synthetic paint.
But the Alloy plate on the bulkhead states FBD11 along with the same 6 digit number.
This makes it a Morris Minor 2 door saloon in Dark Blue, RHD and synthetic paint - how do I know which is right.
Whilst I'm on here - what do the other two stamped tags on the opposite side of the bulkhead infer? - an Alloy 2 1/2" one with BM followed by a 6 digit number stamped on it and a longer steel tag with Z. along with a 5 digit number and also another 6 digit number.
Cheers
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: V5 Chassis Number

Post by simmitc »

Contact the British Motor Museum at Gaydon and ask for a Heritage Certificate, quoting the numerical part of your chassis number. They will search the original production registers and give you loads of information, including the correct prefix.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

The BM and Z numbers are the bare body numbers. They will identify the body style and the vintage.
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Is there a list that I could reference?
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

jaekl wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:03 pm The BM and Z numbers are the bare body numbers. They will identify the body style and the vintage.
BM is MM/S11 2dr

Tourers only went up to 5 digits - off the top of my head about 73000 - as 2drs produced en mass from 1948, 6 digits reached very early.

"Genuine" Tourer's sought after, was it purchased as a Tourer or a 2dr conversion?

Check the punched in chassis number, tbh, always good policy to make note of the body code/numbers.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

It is a 2dr Saloon with a roof and has 6 numerical digits after the BM
Cheers
Just out of interest - if BM is for a 2dr saloon what are the letters indicating a Convertible or even a Traveller?
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Roughly, at last count, 170odd bodyshell "Z" codes & 15 separate Nuffield "BM" body prefix codes; 2 noted below.

Tourer = SMM/S11/S111 1948-62 used BMT*
Traveller = only S11 1953-mid 56 used BMD

*BME (S111 2dr) sustituted W.S.E. during late '50s.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!