Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Glovebox lids

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I recently bought the lids below, they are in really good condition and will look great once repainted black but one has a broken hinge (one half is missing - advertised as such, so not down to the sellers misrepresentation).
Does anyone have a battered lid with good hinges they be willing to part with?
Or does anyone know a source of replacement hinges that would be suitable?
Also they have holes around their rims, was this for a chrome surround strip, again does anyone know a source where I can get this from?
I've looked on the main suppliers sites and I can't see either the chrome surround or hinges for glovebox lids.
Thanks and best wishes,
Mike.
Morris Minor glovebox lids.jpg
Morris Minor glovebox lids.jpg (147.23 KiB) Viewed 435 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Glovebox lids

Post by geoberni »

Mike
as I understand the saga of glovebox doors, the ones of that appearance were of 2 types. Originally just metal doors with nothing on the insides, and the latter one that had a 'liner'.
I don't know if the Chrome trim applied to both or not.
I've got a copy of the AKD3542 manual and I still can't work it out.

if you haven't got a copy of AKD3542 a quick internet search will find one.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

As Berni says, there are basically 2 different lids of that similar style.
The first was introduced with the first Minor 1000 in 1956 and was a plain lid with no chrome surround, no internal lining and painted steel hinges which were spot welded to the door. This style carried on until sometime in 1959 when the lids were fitted with an internal liner(covered with headlining material), a chrome plated brass surround and separate chromed hinges. A stay was fitted to the passenger side lid. This carried on until late 1961 when the lids were discontinued. Each of these different types employed different catches to keep them closed, so the golden rule if you wish to alter your car is to purchase a full set of one type or the other.

What you appear to have purchased are a pair of the later versions of these lids (1959-1961) but minus the liners, and chromed surrounds and fittings and with one broken hinge. I don't think any of these parts have been reproduced so you will have to do some searching and adapting I reckon :wink:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

This photo of a 1958 model should show the earlier type of lid fitted with the painted hinge and lacking the chromed surround.
Attachments
Early glovebox lid.JPG
Early glovebox lid.JPG (183.22 KiB) Viewed 418 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I can live without the chrome surround but the hinge will need replacing. The hinges attached to them are screwed in place and appear to be chromed or plated.
DSCF3827(1).JPG
DSCF3827(1).JPG (323.79 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Once upon a time I might have found something close enough to work at the likes of B & Q but these days............
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)