Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jcrcleeman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

petrol tank feed pipe nipple

Post by jcrcleeman »

Can anyone confirm that the nipple has to be soldered onto the outlet pipe?

I've found quite a few general threads but nothing specific to the nipple fastening.

I've also seen mention of the pipe having a "swaged " single flare end, is this an alternative method?

Is it a simple diy soldering job? ( as I don't really want to have to buy the full pipe etc if it's simple to do it.)

I'm pretty sure it's not a compression fit but thought I had best check it out.
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-05-25-00-01-51.png
Screenshot_2021-05-25-00-01-51.png (82.11 KiB) Viewed 668 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: petrol tank feed pipe nipple

Post by philthehill »

The nipple is soldered onto the pipe as per the picture. If not soldered and a poor job is carried out petrol may leak from the nipple which is dangerous and air may be drawn into the pipe resulting in poor delivery of the fuel.

jcrcleeman
Minor Friendly

Post by jcrcleeman »

Point taken Phil.
New pipe ordered!
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

No significant amount of fuel could leak out because it's on the suction side, but the air leak would make the pump ineffective. If you can solder, it will be fine. If you are using a steel pipe, a good flux is needed. Pre-tinning is a good way to inspect it before the fitting goes on.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

On Tuesday I had a new pump and pipe fitted the tank was just under half full was below where the pipe goes into the tank. When I got home I put a couple of gallons of petrol in and it started dripping out of where the pipe went in to the tank so the garage that fitted it drained some off and refitted the pipe and put the petrol back in and is not dripping now. The mechanic said they can be a bit of a fiddle to get them to seal and I know people that have fitted petrol pipes and usually takes two times before they seal correctly.