Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Matt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cars For Sale bit

Post by Matt »

les wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:22 pm It appears that Matt has thrown the towel in?
I'm still here and posting arn't I? Far more than the 0 Morris Minor FB groups I am on at any rate :lol:

FB is invaluable for my "hobby" business though - couldn't do without it (Thats mainly focused around Transits though)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

As said before the reason no comments could be added to For Sale ads was simply due to posters adding their own opinions to the ads, I do remember it getting quite heated occasionally and adverts were removed as the posters took offence.
This forum will always be the font of all knowledge as there have been so many knowledgeable people answering questions about problems with cars, these people have forgotten more about minors than some will ever know. For this reason alone is why the Admin team should push the MMOC to preserve and keep the message board online. It is a shame the committee don’t see the importance of this forum as a historical reference and won’t invest in it from a long term perspective.
Facebook/chat groups are great for a quick answer but as mentioned before, in a online world there is a lot of misinformation out there.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Perhaps I should have been clearer, referring to the actual club membership.
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

As a recent member on the forum i joined in December 2019, I would certainly favour this site above Facebook.

I dabbled with social media after I retired but in the end I became sick and tired with all of it.

I'm very grateful for all the wealth of information posted on here. The photos, the explanations, the diagrams it's a real treasure trove.

Apologies for my off topic opinion, I send everyone of you on here my grateful thanks.👍
Jonnie.
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
sean01597
Minor Friendly

Post by sean01597 »

I prefer a forum and do not ever use social media for any reason.

sean
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It is a shame the committee don’t see the importance of this forum as a historical reference and won’t invest in it from a long term perspective.
I wonder if this might be one of the stumbling blocks that Mike Dean (Admin) keeps coming up against.
Best wishes,
mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
leafie

Post by leafie »

As previously said the reason for turning comments off on cars for sale was the volume and content of comments from people with no interest in buying the car but felt the need to comment. Some of these comments caused considerable problems for the club. Closing the section entirely was given serious consideration by the club committee, however it was agreed by them that turning off comments was the best option available.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’ve been here for many years and don’t recall any comments that were life changing. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention. I wonder if other forums take this stance. I can well believe that closing the section down was considered. We are so prim and proper here. :D
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Well said Les!
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

les wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:29 pm I’ve been here for many years and don’t recall any comments that were life changing. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention. I wonder if other forums take this stance. I can well believe that closing the section down was considered. We are so prim and proper here. :D
back in the annals of time... I was a mod here when commenting on cars for sale was disabled.

As I remember it (so may not be entirely factually correct, but probably close) there was one thread when the owner thought he had something wonderful and original and nice and wanted strong money for it. Multiple posters said its a bitsa and a mess and worth Naff all. The owner got the hump and complained to the MMOC head office, who decided that responses to adverts would no longer be allowed - admin was told no more comments and that was that.

And, to be fair to them, it wasn't the first time. There were several complaints from sellers to the moderation team about similar grievances and there were a few occasions in the proceeding months where action was taken....

But do I think its a reasonable response? I'm just going to say Caveat Emptor...
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for reply Matt. They tell me facebook is no place for snowflakes, much safer here ! :D
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

What Matt recalls makes perfect sense to me. It is generally those selling over-described junk who get the most defensive when somebody points out a weakness or two....
Who should we be protecting as a club: Those trying to sell the junk? or the members who might be about to buy it?
It is difficult. At the end of the day, you cannot please all the people all the time but "The Club" do seem a little unnecessarily terrified in some situations. After all, slander can only exist when somebody has made a comment which is not true :wink:
Simple, sensible and reasonable moderation should be all that is required. It works perfectly well on other forums.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Plenty of snowflakes here, not particularly young ones either.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes, protection from offence here, is second to none !