Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
minormarc
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Timing Cover Seal - Which Way?

Post by minormarc »

Hi all. Sounds like a silly question but when I removed my old oil seal from the timing cover, it was so long ago that I have forgotten which way around it went. I have attached a picture of one in situ and another just above it but the other way round. Does the spring point towards the road ahead or towards the driver when you put it in?

Another thing is that I have been having a dreadful oil leak definitely at the bottom of the cover through the gasket. I have used new bolts, washers and oval retainers, made sure both surfaces were clean, obviously used a new gasket and I have checked to see if there is any obvious warping or distortion of the timing cover, but there doesn’t seem to be. It even leaked when applying some red gasket sealant (I know it shouldn’t need any Phil (if you’re reading this)) but I had to give it a go. The oil came too quickly for the sealant to set, and it just got through anyway. Not sure what to try next. I know the oil is coming from there because when I remove the cover and clean it all up it gradually weeps its way down from the base of the small gear wheel and down the surface of the main plate that the cover bolts on to. Nothing comes from the main seals which have just been replaced.

Helpful clues please anyone! Thanks.
Attachments
20210607_104105063_iOS.jpg
20210607_104105063_iOS.jpg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 774 times
Matt
Minor Legend

Re: Timing Cover Seal - Which Way?

Post by Matt »

The oil seal will have kind of a C section profile?

The seal fits so the inside of the C is where the oil is
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

Thanks Matt. So the inside of the 'C' has a spring in it, so what you're saying is "spring exposed to the driver's side" (where the oil is)?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The lip seal is fitted with the spring towards the engine or as you say 'where the oil is'.
Once you have removed the timing cover any oil inside the front of the engine will run down the front engine plate and dip off the plate.
With a lightly greased gasket fitted and the timing chain cover fitted (make sure that you have loosely fitted the crankshaft pulley before tightening the cover bolts - this helps centralise the seal around the crankshaft pulley) there should be no reason for the seal and gasket to leak.
You can oil or grease the lip of the seal which helps the oil seal bed in.

minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

Thank you Phil and Matt. That's really helpful. My seal presses gently into the recess in the cover and will easily come out. Is this right or should it be a tighter fit? My guess is that it's okay as it wasn't the seal that was leaking when it went in last time - last time my step father, who is a mechanic fitted it in for me but I don't want to take the Mick and ask him to do it again.

I am waiting for delivery of 2 gaskets (I have learnt quickly that having spares is a good thing) so when they come, I will try adding a light coating of grease to each side of the gasket, something I didn't do before. If it doesn't work I will try with more red gasket seal although I'd rather do a proper job than bodging it.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

I'm sure there's an 'exception that proves the rule' someone can find, but as a general rule unless it's otherwise documented in maintenance manuals, Lip Seals (which is the sort of thing you're dealing with here) always have the 'Cup' aspect facing the oil.
BackPageBasics_LipSeals_01022016.jpg
BackPageBasics_LipSeals_01022016.jpg (18.75 KiB) Viewed 744 times
Think of it as the liquid pushing against the inside of the seal will push it against the sealing surfaces; if it's the other way around, the liquid can push past.
Basil the 1955 series II

minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

Thank you geoberni. :D
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

What might be worth checking on the cover is that the bolt holes haven't become distorted and "pulled through" - i.e. making a lip that bottoms out before the gasket makes good contact
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

That's a good point Matt.

I did indicate that there was no obvious distortion but it does look like there is some 'not so obvious' distortion.

I placed one of those flattish round LED lights over the oil seal hole, placed the cover face down on a dark work surface and looked to see if any light came out between the places where the bolt holes are. Light came through on every span between the holes and there was a small 'rock' between the nose of the cover and the more rounded end.

Rather than going at it like a bull at a gate, I think I'm going to let a mechanic look at it because he would have the right tools to do the job, rather than me with my rusty hammer. I'm not that bad, but you get the point. I know what needs to be done but I'd rather the right tools were used.

You've been a great help, thank you.