Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Headlining

Post by Propshaft »

I am in the process of fitting a new headlining I have had it on and off three times now. Even after warming up and stretching the cover when fitted the cover is still showing the stitching down the side were the middle hoop is positioned ( the car is a two door with three hoops) . I have just taken the cover off again and compared it with the original and were the middle hoop is positioned measuring along the seem the new one is 40mm shorter and no amount of stretching will close that distance . My question is , is this the norm with new head linings . All fitting has been carried out per the instruction leaflet . I had no problems with my lcv.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Headlining

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I replaced the headlining in Abby, my old two door, as her original was ripped.
I too found that the new headlining was a little on the small size and no amount of stretching would rectify this.
I was left with a little gap between the body and the headlining down either side of the car........... :roll:
Sally's headlining is good, so I will do everything I can to protect and keep it when / after she's resprayed.
The problem is (as I'm sure you and many already know) that the original headlinings get brittle with age and tear easily.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Hi Jagnut. Yes that's my problem the lining is not wide enough especially where the hoops are and stretching will not get the required width does anyone else make these linings ?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I would take the matter up with your supplier if the lining is unfit for purpose. 40mm shorter will make quite a difference.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

The one I fitted to our 2 door fitted fine, it came from ESM about 4 years ago.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

does anyone else make these linings
Mine came from Bull Motif, who no longer supply Morris Minor parts.
ESM, as mentioned, are usually quite reliable.
However, I was told at the time that I fitted Abby's that new headlining 'fit' can be a bit hit and miss.....
So the best advise I can give is the obvious, ask around, see if any supplier is especially recommended and, if not, go with a known main supplier of parts, because at least they shouldn't give you any hassle with customer service / exchange of a non fitting headlining.

That said, who supplied you current non fitting item?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:27 pm

Mine came from Bull Motif, who no longer supply Morris Minor parts.
ESM, as mentioned, are usually quite reliable.
ESM brought out Bull Motif's 'Minor' business last year (or was it the year before that....), acquiring all their tooling etc
I believe Bull Motif are now only a Mini & Austin A30/35 business.
Basil the 1955 series II

Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Hi I purchased the headlining from esm but it was manufactured by newton commercials , I have been in contact with esm and am still talking to them regarding this issue , I have now taken it off again . I have spoken to N C when I asked them if they could machine me one up to a different width they said no problem and gave me a price what did surprise me was when I mentioned is wasn't wide enough they just said I should take the issue up with esm
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I suspect NC make all the headlinings sold by various suppliers. But rather than NC telling you to take the issue up with ESM, ESM should be taking the issue up with NC, as they supplied the headlining in the first place! Mike's experience shows this is not an isolated incident. New parts should not be 'hit and miss' as regards being fit-for-purpose. Very frustrating.....
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I've just done the headlining in the cab of my Traveller.
Not a job I want to do again in a hurry.
The headlining fit was tight, a little too tight, it doesn't have the gaps like I ended up with in Abby but it was a close run thing and took allot of 'manipulation'.
It's still not perfect and IMO they could do with another 3/4" to 1" on each side to make it sit right.
Still much better than the red carpet (stuck on with a combination of carpet tape and evo-stick and an absolute pig to get off :evil: ) that was on there though.
I'm not after concourse and I'll be b**gered if I'm going to take it all out again to get it perfect with a replacement item but I will have a word with ESM, who supplied it.
Best wishes,
Mike.