Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Replacement wing mirror glass - converting to convex

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have been struggling with a lack of decent rearward vision in the Desmo wing mirrors on Elsie May.
This is in part due to the original glass being flat, which is vastly inferior to the convex mirror lenses available.
I didn't want to loose the original mirrors, however replacement seemed like the only option until I came accross this company, after spotting an advert on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254748432296 ... nl%3Dmkcid
I placed an order and got a very polite responses, asking me to double check my mirror glass size, as there are several variations out there, which all look very similar and I could easily end up with the wrong glass.
So I checked out both sizes that were initially suggested, to find my mirror glass was bigger than my original order but slightly smaller than the second size they suggested. Rather than mess around on eBay and risk ending up with the wrong size, I looked up the company themselves:

https://phoenixwingmirrors.co.uk
I then rang them and spoke to Luke, he couldn't have been more helpful or patient, even offering advise on the best way to remove and reinstall the glass.
Long story short, I now have the correct glass size and am very impressed with both their attitude and knowledge.
Plus, of course, I now have convex lenses in my period wing mirror bodies, offering me far superior rearward vision.
Desmo isn't the only period wing mirror they reproduce a convex lens for, so if your original wing mirrors are foxed or simply next to useless for rearward vision, I can recommend this company, for the provision of a convex replacement, at a good price, that will be the same size and shape as the original.
Best wishes,
Mike.

NB: If you scroll down their 'Home page' (past the manufacturers logos) you will find their phone number listed in the black box at the bottom under the heading 'Company Information'.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Replacement wing mirror glass - converting to convex

Post by geoberni »

That's interesting Mike,
Basil came with Flat Glass round mirrors and I replaced them with Convex for a better view, but in doing so I had to get ones that were a little shorter arm and also without the knock back spring function.
I've still got the old ones, so a simple round replacement would mean I could go back to the better arms.

How did you get the old glass out? Pull it with a suction cup, gentle prise out with a thin blade? :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Now, I am of a different opinion as I find convex mirrors distort the view and it is harder to place objects with them. So my cars have flat ones.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

My Desmo mirrors on Elsie May have a spring behind the glass, you simply push them in a little, pop out the black plastic surround which holds the glass in place and Bob's your Uncle. Re-installation is simply the reverse.
I have a pair of round ones for Sally which I thought were okay but the flat glass was a little foxed.
For them I bought some stick on convex mirrors, from the same company I believe. They are supposed to adhere for good once pressed in place, so we'll see when she's all back together and on the road again. These look okay, as they don't sit too proud.
The round ones are TEX mirrors and I don't believe the original glass is meant to be replaceable, unlike my Desmo ones, so stick on ones looked like my only option if I wanted to keep them.
If you're not sure give them a call, they will be happy to help and may advise differently.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thanks Mike
you're right they are TEX Viewmaster and the frame seems to be pressed around the glass after it's been installed. I'm sorely tempted to simply have a try at removing and when it inevitably breaks, simply fit replacements of the right size, if necessarily bedded on a bear of silicone..... I'll see what happens.
Perhaps I'll give them a ring in a day or two when I haver a spare moment. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Now, I am of a different opinion as I find convex mirrors distort the view and it is harder to place objects with them. So my cars have flat ones.
I've never noticed that, to me they simply give you a far greater all round field of vision.
Best wishes,
Mike.