Can anyone recommend a gasket sealant?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Timdiver1966
MMOC Member: Yes

Can anyone recommend a gasket sealant?

Post by Timdiver1966 »

Hi all. I'm nearing the completion of my 1959 Traveller, last on the road in 1981. The latest job is reassembling the engine, and I'm wondering what (if any) gasket seal to use for the water pump, thermostat housing and plate-to-engine seal.
Is there one common sealant, or do I need a variety?

With thanks,

Tim.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Can anyone recommend a gasket sealant?

Post by philthehill »

Just lightly smear the gaskets with general purpose grease. Sealant is not required.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Hi Tim, the water pump and thermostat gaskets should be assembled dry. Likewise the front and backplate gaskets (though I agree a little grease could be used on those). The key to effective sealing is ensuring both mating surfaces are smooth and perfectly clean. Pay particular attention to areas around studs as these can suffer from a build up of rubbish. Then tighten the fixings evenly, i.e. each one a little at a time.

Do you have any pictures of your Traveller you could upload which would be nice to see.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

All gaskets benefit from a light application of grease. It keeps the gasket supple and at a push the ability to reuse the gasket.
The water pump gasket can be greased. The original cork type thermostat gasket should not be greased but then again I would not use the cork gasket as it is unreliable, easily distorts when dry and is prone to leaking I would use the latest paper gasket again lightly greased.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251750460431 ... SwAL9UgGYX
Thermostat housing 2.JPG[/attachmen [attachment=0]Thermostat housing 5.JPG
Attachments
Thermostat housing 5.JPG
Thermostat housing 5.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 1365 times
Thermostat housing 2.JPG
Thermostat housing 2.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1367 times

beero
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by beero »

When I took my thermostat off the nuts were seized and the studs came out. When I replaced the studs the water leaked up around the threads. I think I used Hylomar Blue on the threads and it sealed well.

Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nourish »

Wellseal - it doesn't set yet very sticky - it won't block the oilways. Its been around for donkeys years - I think my old Triumphs motorcycles were originally assembled with it - but that's no recommendation!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I do not know why but there does seem to be a fascination for the use of propriety sealant on a Minor engine. BMC never used it and if the gasket faces are clean and true then the gasket will seal the joint. If the gasket faces are not true piling gasket goo onto the faces to be joined is not the right way to go about sealing the joint.
With all the 'A' Series engines I have built over the years I have only ever used gaskets lightly smeared with grease and where found necessary Loctite 243 Lock 'N' Seal (or equivalent) on the threads. In all that time I have never had a gasket fail or leak.
Dependent upon the head being used - only one out of the three thermostat studs is drilled and tapped right through to the water jacket. The 940 heads I have all three stud holes are blind.
A smear of Loctite 243 will seal the threads. If you have coolant rising up all three studs you have a greater problem than just gasket failure.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I think this is one of those questions where you will get a thousand answers, all right or wrong dependant on anothers point of view.
Personally I agree that all surfaces need to be clean, smooth and damage free.
Whether you then use a sealant, grease or nothing at all is up to you.
Personally I never reuse gaskets and used to fit them dry but have found a very light smear of blue sealant gives extra peace of mind.
Doubtless I will now be told I'm wrong, however, as above, think that is the nature of this question....
C'est la vie.....
Best wishes and good luck in acheiving a 'sealed' engine.
Mike.

NB: I do not include the head gasket in the above, for which clean and flat mating surfaces are everything and for which I use no additional 'sealants'.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Timdiver1966

Post by Timdiver1966 »

Thanks for all the responses everyone.
I've not built an A series back up for 35 years so thought I'd ask for some advice...

I'm not having much luck uploading a photo.

Basically the wood and bodywork was restored 30 years ago, then put into storage.
Unfortunately I didn't take it apart, and it went through two house moves before I got it so while it came with 15 hubcaps and seven rims, the driveshaft, starter motor, dynamo and some trim was missing. I've just assembled everything I need to get it back on the road!!