Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sean01597
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Cache of vehicles

Post by sean01597 »

Chipper wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:28 pm The V8 one looks like a real sleeper, that probably surprises lots of folk! 8)
it is sort of, but i think the suspension and steering needs some work. if you look at the photos it is automatic too.

sean
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Personally I wouldn't pay anything more than £1000 for a non roadworthy classic in need of restoration and even then it would depend on what it was.
He may end up with offers of less than that if the vans are worse than they look in the pictures we've seen so far.
The dark green(?) pickup looks to be the best of the bunch, so that may command more, if it looks an easy resto.
I can understand his caution if some theiving git has nicked some from him in the past but he will need to get them out for people to look at.
Plus most people will want to see more pictures before they make a potentially long trip to view, so he may need to get them out, take more detailed pictures of bodywork, engine bays, underneath, then put them back in and block them in once more.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for getting back with this find, value is difficult, as you can imagine. They all need rebuilding, at considerable cost and the spares look grim. How do you get into such a mess? :o
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

Wow. What a lovely find. The vans all look reasonably straight and very saleable. I suspect on ebay the might all fetch 1.5 to 2k.
The spares are more dificuilt to sell. I am sure there are some really good stuff there but it will take some sorting
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

To me the most interesting vehicle is the rubber wing GPO van.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Be good to have a rummage through that little cache! Something for everyone, I would think - somewhere :wink:
sean01597
Minor Friendly

Post by sean01597 »

I am being allowed back in around 2 weeks to have a look in the locked barn. He tells me there is a van and something else, that he had dismantled completely to rebuild some years ago, he can't remember what. i will take photos and also try to get some more photos of the floors, boots etc of the original cache of vehicles. i will try to get some idea of prices too, although last time i spoke to him he had decided he wasn't selling anything.
He has some interesting other vehicles too: a Saab turbo, another Saab, maybe a turbo too, a Citron Berlingo camper, a Simitar that is for sale, a Skoda Fabia, a largish transit type minibus and another car which he uses as a daily driver, which may be another Saab.

sean
sean01597
Minor Friendly

Post by sean01597 »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:04 am Be good to have a rummage through that little cache! Something for everyone, I would think - somewhere :wink:
I am hoping to persuade him to remove all the spares, on a trailer and take them somewhere to sell. are there any Minor meets near to Hereford?

sean
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Often folk who get into this sort of hoarding, can’t come to terms with selling, as your recent conversation with him suggests. The end result could be a council clearance, sometime in the future.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Or the person wants too much for them / thinks they're worth more than they are and they end up rusting to scrap, while they hold out for 'their' price.
Then, as you say, the council clears the site when the owner dies.
In which case, shame, what a waste. :(
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)