Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Flywheel
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: London in the 1920's and the 1930's in colour

Post by Flywheel »

Chief wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:30 am
Flywheel wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:51 pm They certainly put everyone through the mill. What with city of London traffic and the skid pan, I was having a great time.
I found a video channel on YouTube a couple of months ago that would have interested you, however inspite of the channel looking official (logos, copyright information etc.) it appears to have been closed down for violating copyright by the real owners of all the content.

The channel contained all the videos for a Rank Organisation produced series "Look At Life" and the episode that would interest you (available on DVD from the actual content owners: https://networkonair.com/all-products/1 ... -transport) is called: Driving Test.

It ended (last two minutes or so) with the London Bus drivers doing their skid pan training.

So as you did it yourself, was it as scary as it looked because the 1960's bus they kept showing sure liked to lean wayyy over in skids ! :o

The part of it about police driving, and IAM was pretty interesting too. :)

Hi Chief, thanks for your links, I'll have a look at those this evening.
As for the LT skid pan test. I'd had a week or so under instruction driving an RT under the watchful eye of my Chiswick instructor.

Many of these blokes were ex armed forces, and it was their way to put the driver trainee under pressure while driving around London.

Some of them had a long wooden pole that they would use to thump the back of your seat. While bellowing in your ear.

This of course was the old knock 'em down to build 'em up strategy, so that they could discover what sort of temperament you had behind the wheel.

As an Engineer, I had to drive a bus and adhere to the same standards that were expected of PSV drivers. In their eyes we were all the same, and they would shout, swear and holler for the slightest mistake.

On the skid pan day, I don't remember being scared or worried. My 'Skid instructor' Jock explained how this skid would be conducted and he asked me to drive as fast as I could, and just before the skid area jam the footbrake hard to the floor.

This of course was the straight line skid, and he also explained how I should 'feather the brake pedal' so that I could gain a little more control of the bus and stop safely.

The next skid was the 'uncontrolled skid'. Jock gave me precise instructions so that just before the bus entered the skid pan, he would squeeze himself through the window behind my driving seat, wrench the steering wheel hard on a lock, and pull the handbrake hard on.

Jock explained that as soon as he squeezed through the cab window, I had to fold my arms across my chest and tuck my left leg under the drivers seat.

My right leg was still on the throttle; hard down to give the bus it's momentum to make the skid. Jock would then holler "OFF GAS" and that was my cue to tuck my right leg, in front of the left leg already under my seat.

We did have a second go on the skid pan, but this time, Jock would explain the method of steering into the skid and hopefully regaining full control. It certainly was a good experience for me, and the funny thing is I can still recall those bellowing voices in my ear. Bless them all, the long the short and the tall.
Cheers Jonnie.

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

A few London street scenes. Later that the 30s though.
Great pictures, the third one (the man in the suit crossing in front of a pre-war car) is so clear with the colours so sharp I had to do a double take -- it could almost have been taken yesterday.
One of those pictures you almost feel you could step into.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chief wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:30 am
I found a video channel on YouTube a couple of months ago that would have interested you, however inspite of the channel looking official (logos, copyright information etc.) it appears to have been closed down for violating copyright by the real owners of all the content.

There's plenty of Look at Life available on youtube, many of them have been there years.
I've not seen the one you mention, but a quick search finds loads.

I liked this one 'Look at Life Vol 01 Transport The Village Sleeps Again 1962'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyev7ZG ... h&index=31
Basil the 1955 series II

Mick Lynch
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Mick Lynch »

The 60s

The white Mini has had a rear ender
Attachments
3BA40B16-647B-4137-84B9-226BB74A9AF1.jpeg
3BA40B16-647B-4137-84B9-226BB74A9AF1.jpeg (323.43 KiB) Viewed 540 times
11B4EEBE-D123-4176-892B-2FEBBE1EFB73.jpeg
11B4EEBE-D123-4176-892B-2FEBBE1EFB73.jpeg (726.39 KiB) Viewed 540 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The white Mini has had a rear ender
Ouch!
Mind you I'm more taken with the Triumph Herald 1200 convertible.
Again pictures so clear you could step into them and straight back in time.............
If only.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)