Minor History ( South West Electricity Board)

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Minor History ( South West Electricity Board)

Post by Donald Ross »

Hello

I have been contacted by someone who owned a 1970 Morris Minor WHW 238H (in the 1980s) rather than my WHW 239H and his was owned by south west electricity board from 1970-1977.

We suspect SWEB may have had a fleet of cars or possible morris minors and i am trying to find out any information on this to see if my car was part of the same fleet of cars.

If anyone has and information relating to this it would be much appreciated.

Regards
Donald
Last edited by Donald Ross on Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Minor History

Post by geoberni »

Well it's not been on the road for 21 years, but that aside.....
A quick google for SWEB Morris Minors reveals the book 'Morris Minor Light Commercials' and a quote from the back cover as
".....although the local SWEB (South Wales Electricity Board) vans in their vivid turquoise liveries are fondly remembered. "

So if they used Morris/Austin Minor Vans, it's highly likely they would have a few cars too with consecutive 'batch' registration numbers.

Note that the W in SWEB is 'Wales', not West. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Re: Minor History ( South West Electricity Board)

Post by simmitc »

This enquiry demonstrates why some of us have been making the point about getting history from the DVLA - wouldn't it be nice to simply get the previous keeper details and find that the van's first owner was SWEB (or indeed, any other company)?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:29 am This enquiry demonstrates why some of us have been making the point about getting history from the DVLA - wouldn't it be nice to simply get the previous keeper details and find that the van's first owner was SWEB (or indeed, any other company)?
Not wishing to take this topic down a rabbit hole, but.....
I do wonder why there can't be a compromise on the matter, such as give the name and the town. That would then be little different to looking up other public records. Simply Joe Smith of Lincoln , or SWEB of Cardiff.
I think the DLVA interpretation of the regulation may be excessive.

The Data protection regulations don't stop the press reporting details.
For example, in Dec 2016, 2 men were killed in a Workplace incident (I refuse to call it an accident because it was sheer incompetence) a few miles from where I live.
The Press are reporting that the company and several directors/managers are now going to face trial.
The reports include defendants:
Name
Town
County
So as they are 'innocent until proven guilty', how come that info is in the public domain and yet we can't have similar details on past owners?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-56662840
Basil the 1955 series II

POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

You had SWEB = South West Electicity Board (orangy & with rear bumpers) & South Wales Electricity Board.

As yours carries a Bristol mark, suggest the former.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

POMMReg wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:20 pm You had SWEB = South West Electicity Board (orangy & with rear bumpers) & South Wales Electricity Board.

As yours carries a Bristol mark, suggest the former.
I stand corrected. :oops:
So we're almost back to Square One, since I can't find any mention of South West Electricity Board Morris Minor fleet.

But the good news for Donald is that there is a Historical Society that might have some info in their archive.
They've lots of old film available which I've already been distracted by.....playing 'Spot the Morris' :roll:
Quite frankly, I strongly suspect the membership is predominately Old guys, many of whom will be SWEB retirees, so there might easily be someone who can actually remember their vehicle fleet of the 70s.
https://wpehs.org.uk/
Basil the 1955 series II

Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

Thanks for all your replies.

Just to confirm it is definitely south west electricity board I suspect the car was owned by.

I have just attempted to contact the DVLA but their reply is due to data protection they can't give me any information on who owned that car previous or any other helpful information for that matter so no luck there. It's a shame they don't tell you your own cars history.

I will now look into the historical society geoberni has found and try to make contact with them and see if I get any joy. I will keep the post updated of and developments.

Thanks again
Donald
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

Just a quick update

I have now contacted the western power historical society and am now awaiting a response.

Hopefully they may have some answers.
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

It might also be worth while contacting the Bristol Archives that includes vehicle records https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/collections
Here is a link that is most relevant to your request https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/records/36407/2/13/12
I made a similar request for my pickup from Hampshire Archives and for a small fee got a photo copy of the page of vehicle entries registered along with mine, on the page I got it included who the vehicle was registered to, but it is in date registered order, not registration number order, so may be of no use unless registered at the same time.
I notice they also do index cards which give details of individual vehicles, I couldn’t get this for mine.
Regards John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It’s not easy finding out these details, the pickup I owned was first owned by Greater London Council hence the GLC reg, there was/is a place in London, (can’t remember where) that have archives of London council activities, however on a visit couldn’t find any details. However while preparing vehicle for respray found the writing on the side panels
‘Department of mechanical & electrical engineering’. That’s all the history I found. Good luck Donald with your history search, it’s nice to know these things.

MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

Donald Ross wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:02 pm I have just attempted to contact the DVLA but their reply is due to data protection they can't give me any information on who owned that car previous or any other helpful information for that matter so no luck there. It's a shame they don't tell you your own cars history.
Hi Donald,
Up until Sep 2017 the DVLA would have happily provided you with the previous owner details, because you're the vehicle owner and entitled to the information. Sadly due to some (apparently misinterpreted) government advice, the DVLA imposed a blanket ban on data release in these situations, and your century old entitlement went out of the window. Which, as you're finding, causes all manner of issues for vehicle owners. The fact that a particular company owned your vehicle isn't even covered by the data protection regulations. As simmitc has said, some of us are making the point about getting history from the DVLA and trying to get this situation reversed.
simmitc wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:29 am This enquiry demonstrates why some of us have been making the point about getting history from the DVLA - wouldn't it be nice to simply get the previous keeper details and find that the van's first owner was SWEB (or indeed, any other company)?
It just needs a concerted effort to get the government to amend its policy on this particular matter, and then clarify their advice to DVLA.
geoberni wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:47 am I do wonder why there can't be a compromise on the matter, such as give the name and the town. That would then be little different to looking up other public records. Simply Joe Smith of Lincoln , or SWEB of Cardiff.
I think the DLVA interpretation of the regulation may be excessive.

The Data protection regulations don't stop the press reporting details.
For example, in Dec 2016, 2 men were killed in a Workplace incident (I refuse to call it an accident because it was sheer incompetence) a few miles from where I live.
The Press are reporting that the company and several directors/managers are now going to face trial.
The reports include defendants:
Name
Town
County
So as they are 'innocent until proven guilty', how come that info is in the public domain and yet we can't have similar details on past owners?
I agree geoberni. There's all manner of publicly available personal information, either published or easily available from various government resources. Far more than just the previous owners name and address, as released by DVLA, and even then only to a current keeper. I don't believe the DVLA blanket ban is justifiable or sustainable.
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

Hello again.

Unfortunately I don't have any good news to report.

I contacted the historical society but unfortunately after they did some searching they could not find any info on this and they don't have a record of fleet only photos which have no useful info unfortunately.

So now due to the DVLA being unable to tell me previous keepers of my car or any other useful info I am stuck.

Looks like I won't get any further forward with this for now untill the DVLA change there rules.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

OK, so time to think a little further out of the box.
Local media come in all shapes and sizes these days, TV, Radio and lots of 'on line' local press.

Website 'newspapers' like https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ come from the same mould across the country, they go for quantity of coverage not quality.
If you can get them interested in the story of you trying to trace a connection between your vintage car and SWEB, they'll probably run with it.
When the websites get such a story it will get circulated on twitter and facebook accounts too.
Equally local radio or TV news might be interested too if it's a slow news day. it's the sort of thing they could make a 1 or 2 minute recording about then then fit it in sometime in the follow weeks when 'real news' is scarce.

Did you try the suggestion yesterday from StillGotMy1stCar, about contacting Bristol Archives?

Options are out there. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

PO had 2 batches of Saloons
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Because of this subject coming up, I've been in touch with Coventry archives regarding the original registration of my Minor.

Had a reply today to say they have the registration records and that
We can provide a copy of the original record, letter, and certificate for £50.00.

After a sharp intake of breadth, I've not totally discounted the idea, but I've asked for clarification of what the 'Letter and Certificate' is.

The cost makes the Gaydon Heritage Certificate look good value at £45 (inc p&p).

Well, I got a reply back within about 15 minutes, while I was typing the above.

For my £50 I get:
· a letter to prove we are the original record holders which states the vehicles registration details

· an actual copy of the registration page which will feature the entry for your car, stamped, signed and dated

· a certificate of vehicle authenticity, with the full registration entry details
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

More importantly, what are the full details that they recorded? There was no standard ledger. I have of examples that record the registration number, chassis number, engine size, first registered owner etc and others that record just the registration number, colour of car, and the dealer getting the plate (not as a keeper or owner, just as a dealer). It really did vary tremendously between different offices, so ask what they will be providing!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:32 pm More importantly, what are the full details that they recorded? There was no standard ledger. I have of examples that record the registration number, chassis number, engine size, first registered owner etc and others that record just the registration number, colour of car, and the dealer getting the plate (not as a keeper or owner, just as a dealer). It really did vary tremendously between different offices, so ask what they will be providing!
Good point.

I've asked the question and the reply was:
In the case of Coventry registration records from 1949-1978, they did not disclose first owner details and/or agents. We have earlier records (1921 onwards) that do. Our ledgers show:
· Date of registration
· The registration number allocated
· Make of vehicle
· Engine size
· Chassis number
· Engine number
· New/ex War Dept or built up – (99.9% new)
· Other remarks – i.e. drop head coupe, tractor etc.,
So at their prices, as I'm not trying to get evidence to challenge DVLA for example, I'll not bother.
Basil the 1955 series II

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I hope this helps. A postcard of Fore Street, Okehampton, in 1976. Plume of Feathers,pub on the right.
Morris Minor Van on the right, now identified in another copy as one of the old SWEB vans parked outside the SWEB showroom and shop.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 19.45.50.png
Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 19.45.50.png (472.96 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
Miinisandminors
Minor Friendly

Post by Miinisandminors »

Hello all.

Ive just seen this thread and am very interested as i own a 1968 Morris Traveller which used to be owned, so the chap who kept it from new told me, by South Western Electricity Board. My Dad bought it from him in 1997 shortly before he died and it is now mine, and i'm mid restoration. I have nothing to prove it's former life with SWEB, except a type written sheet that we found in the drivers handbook, detailing 5 years of service work and jobs carried out, but it has several differences from standard Travellers such as plain door cards, no rear compartment (boot) mats, no over riders, a van type low compression engine and there are four holes in the rear load bay where possibly a tool box was bolted down, and a hole on the passenger side dash for something , maybe a ID tag which was blanked by a grommet.

It is BMC Smoke Grey, a standard colour and has the standard Traveller layout, ie four seats, windows in the sides etc.
The old chap we got it from had owned it since new but he said it was a SWEB car; possibly a managers vehicle and we think maybe it was his work car and then he bought it from SWEB when he retired. He was an engineer we were told.
It was registered in Berkshire and carries TMO643G. It is a very original car and has not been messed with.

I'll be reading this thread in more info later on but if anyone can help with more info....??
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Miinisandminors wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:33 am Hello all.

Ive just seen this thread....... it has several differences from standard Travellers such as plain door cards, no rear compartment (boot) mats, no over riders,
The specification you list above is exactly that of a "standard" Traveller as opposed to a "deluxe" Traveller. The majority of private owners probably opted for the slightly more expensive and better equipped "deluxe" and the majority of fleet buyers, anxious to save money, probably opted for the "standard" specification :wink: .