Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Radiator leak

Post by les »

I’ve now discovered a slight leak from the radiator, at the point where the pipe enters the bottom tank. I thought I’d remake the joint, I then thought sod it, I’ll buy a new rad, why not. I went for the most expensive one, apparently made from original tooling and all that, be nice to fit first time. — caught. I had to modify the plate that holds the rad, it was stopping it from sitting lower, now I’ve got to repaint the area I’ve relieved. The tap is of a different type, you can’t fit a drain hose to it, and although it appears to work, the filler is cut differently to the original. I just hope when in service it does the job. Silly me, taking what I thought was the easy way out. I’ve always had great service from this supplier however. I very rarely farm out work or buy most things without seeing because it’s so damned hard to find someone who knows what they’re doing. Let my guard down this time.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: Radiator leak

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes, the video refers the relationship between the rad and the rad housing! The case in question. The housing has now been ‘altered’ I hate modifying a good part to accommodate a bad one ! I’ll definitely be repairing my old rad now.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Les,
I get my rads repaired / recored locally at Mansfield Radiators. He does stirling work and reusing the original surround also means it should fit straight back in.
Also, new modern cores have the advantage of being able to cope in todays traffic conditions better.
Perhaps you could source a repair shop local to you. You'll be putting money back into the local economy plus if you should have any issues someone local to you will have to put it right FOC.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I have done a search for something local but with not much success, I’ve even considered a plumber, I think the pipe is soldered in, which should be familiar to them. Again finding someone who doesn’t just talk the talk is the problem. I’m miles away from your recommendation unfortunately. I worked for years at a place that had all the tradesmen under the sun, what ever you needed was there for the asking! We all helped each other. Happy days. B&Q occupy the site now !