Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
minormarc
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Throttle/accelerator cable jerky

Post by minormarc »

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a decent throttle/accelerator cable for my 1969 Morris 1000 please? I bought one from ESM and ever since, I have experienced a very jerky pedal action. It’s now almost impossible to perform a squeezing of the throttle as when I press the pedal down, nothing happens and then suddenly, it moves in a jerky motion which means it doesn’t drive smoothly.

I have oiled the cable, greased the tube-like hole that the cable goes through the bulkhead, made sure the nipple is properly located in the top of the pedal, lubricated the carburettor linkage and I have a proper throttle return spring which seems to be in good condition. The cable goes through the proper guide holes, is securely locked into place on the carburettor and the cable is routed in as straight a line as possible. I have also lubricated the 2 pivot points for the pedal and just slacked the bolts in case they were too tight, which made no difference.

When I poke my finger from the inside of the car up into where the cable disappears into the bulkhead and operate the pedal, I can feel a grating from just inside the hole where the cable disappears, when I operate the pedal. I can only think this is the trouble – a faulty or cheap cable. The carb end seems smooth enough and the pedal without the cable also seems smooth.

Does anyone have any thoughts or are dodgy cables quite common?

Many thanks

Marc.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Throttle/accelerator cable jerky

Post by les »

All I can suggest is a broken cable strand somewhere inside the outer sleeve, unusual for a new cable, maybe you were just unlucky with this cable.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Sometimes the throttle return spring can be too strong leading to erratic opening of the throttle.
If I was going to replace my throttle cable this is the type I would buy:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191850948805 ... xyWt5SUudg

minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

Thanks Les and Phil.

Phil: That's exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for thanks. I'll get me one of they.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

philthehill wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:23 pm Sometimes the throttle return spring can be too strong leading to erratic opening of the throttle.
If I was going to replace my throttle cable this is the type I would buy:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191850948805 ... xyWt5SUudg
I purchased and fitted the same throttle cable about 5 years ago when converting to a hif carburettor and its been perfect.
minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

That sounds good then. I've already bought one.

Thank you Les for your help too. Maybe I was just unlucky with mine but it was only a few quid so I guess you get what you pay for.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Would be interesting to see how smooth, or not, the cable feels when ‘on the bench’ so to speak.
minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

The cable recommended to me is excellent and I'd highly recommend one. Thank you very much for your advice. :D